Cambridge may be getting an underground metro system

Bid goodbye to your bicycle, folks

Cambridge cambridge city council Cambridge University infrastructure James Palmer mayoral election metro metro mayor peterborough Students trains transport underground

Cambridge appears to be moving into the modern age, shocking as this may sound. 

The new mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, James Palmer of the Conservative Party, is living up to the label of ‘metro mayor’. He has committed to prioritising the introduction of light rail and an underground metro system. His aim is to ease congestion issues on Cambridge’s roads, caused by the dependence on cars, and to attract businesses to the area.

James + trains = economic gainz

The first steps in the process have already begun. Palmer has been in discussions with Network Rail, and a meeting will be held shortly between councillors to discuss the project.

Labour Councillor Lewis Herbert, who is the Leader and Executive Councillor for Strategy and Transformation, has explained: “We are having a meeting this week, on this and related issues, set up by the City Deal. We have agreed with board members there will be a comparative study of improvements, including looking at rail links, light rail, and an underground.”

Herbert has acknowledged that there are ‘issues with tunnelling’ (putting it mildly) and has conceded that an investigation will have to take place, given the implications of digging a whopping great tunnel underneath a town dominated by Grade 1 listed architecture.

Very similar to The Great Escape, just without the fascism

Councillor Tom Bygott had also previously suggested the idea, pinpointing the Lion Yard development as a possible place for the city centre’s metro station. It might not be the U-Bahn, but it’ll definitely make the slog to West Cambridge a bit easier

Maybe it won’t be such a curse to be pooled to Girton anymore. Choo choo.