Peterhouse votes to REMAIN in CUSU

Pexit failed

anti-semitism CUSU Malia Bouattia NUS Peterhouse referndum student politics vote

Perhaps Brexit has shown that the consequences of voting leave are too severe, as Peterhouse JCR has voted to remain affiliated to CUSU. 

61.6% of the 151 who voted chose to remain affiliated, with the election seeing a turnout of over 50%.  The calls for referendum came in Easter term after the election of Malia Bouattia as NUS President. Anti-semetic statements by Bouattia caused anonymous members of Peterhouse to send a letter to the JCR proposing a referendum as CUSU had  ‘let Jewish students down’.

The cause of all the chaos

A debate took place on Wednesday in the Peterhouse JCR ahead of the referendum, with JCR Vice President Elizabeth Lloyd and Naomi Obeng (BME Officer) campaigning to remain, and LGBT Officer Julian Sutcliffe proposing leave.

The debate expanded beyond the issue of the NUS and antisemitism, discussing CUSU budget incompetence, and whether the training opportunities provided for JCR officials by CUSU would be possible for a disaffiliated college (or most importantly, whether they would still get free condoms).

Don’t worry if CUSU can’t provide condoms, The Tab ones work just as well

Since Peterhouse has voted to remain affiliated to CUSU, there remain only two JCR’s with independence: Corpus Christi and Gonville and Caius.