Head at posh school tells girls Uni is a waste of time

Why did you even bother filling out that UCAS form?

a-levels clarissa farr Google kirstie allsop peter jones sexism st paul's girls' uni university

The headmistress at one of the best schools in the UK says universities are pointless – despite going to Exeter herself. 

Clarissa Farr, Headmistress at the £22,000 a year St Paul’s Girls’ school, has told her students to consider going straight into the workplace instead of wasting time studying at the UK’s top universities. She said going straight into work could be a more exciting and faster route to the top.

She added: “The sacred esteem of the old institutions is going to go. Far fewer of these brilliant youngsters are going to go to university in the long term.

“Most of our students currently go to the great academic institutions of the world. I would forecast in the future that will not be the case.”

Clarissa Farr: “I expect to see 18-year-olds … missing out the university experience altogether.” Credit: LinkedIn

Touting companies like Google as the new Oxbridge for top A-level students, Farr added: “Fast-moving firms like Google recognise that conventional education is not at the moment keeping up with the requirements of the modern workplace.

“They will be trying to encourage young people not to mark their time at university when they could be moving into an exciting world of employment where their training will continue but in a way more attuned to a modern way thinking.”

Clarissa Farr is just another name to add to the long list of people denouncing your last three years of studying and 50 grand of debt as totally pointless.

Just last week, Peter Jones – the millionaire tycoon from Dragon’s Den with the funny socks – hammered university courses as “a complete waste of time for entrepreneurs.”

Money doesn’t buy happiness

He said: “For entrepreneurs, university is a complete waste of time. You’re not gaining any enterprise experience.

“To be a doctor you have to go through it. But for an entrepreneur? No.”

Whilst last year, “passionate feminist” Kirstie Allsop faced justified accusations of sexism when she said: “Darling, do you know what? Don’t go to university. Start work straight after school, stay at home, save up your deposit – I’ll help you, let’s get you into a flat.

“And then we can find you a nice boyfriend and you can have a baby by the time you’re 27.”