Cambridge Gig Guide: Spring 2015

Looks sick

| UPDATED 2015 Cambridge Cambridge Corn Exchange Junction Live Music Tab

This term, Cambridge will be playing host to acts ranging from Clean Bandit, to First Aid Kit, to Paul Weller

The Spring 2015 Guide gives a rundown of some of this term’s biggest musical happenings:

First Aid Kit – Sat 17th Jan (Corn Exchange)

Swedish folk-pop duo, First Aid Kit, play the Corn Exchange as part of their 11-night UK tour. The Söderberg sisters, having earned critical acclaim for their 2012 LP, ‘The Lion’s Roar’, return with their 2014 release, ‘Stay Gold’, which came third on BBC Radio 6 Music’s ‘Albums of the Year’.

The Staves – Tues 17th Feb (Junction 1)

Folk-rock trio, The Staves, play Junction mid-February, with their upcoming LP, ‘If I Was’, due to be released on 2nd February. Performing initially at open-mic nights in their local pub in Watford, the Staveley-Taylor sisters gained a larger fanbase after supporting The Civil Wars on their 2012 US tour, and later, Bon Iver, in May that year.

Arrested Development – Thurs 19th Feb (Junction 1)

Atlanta-based pioneers of alternative hip-hop, Arrested Development play Junction for their first UK tour since the 1990s. Having won two Grammys in 1993, the group has gone on to create ten albums over a career spanning three decades. Performing at Junction on 19th February, the hip-hop outfit is expected to combine the old-school hits with some new material.

Enter Shikari – Tues 24th Feb (Corn Exchange)

Hailing from Hertfordshire, Enter Shikari’s distinctive musical style seems to transcend genre. Fusing electronica, D&B and post-metal, the four-piece return with their upcoming album release, ‘The Mindsweep’. This is sure to be pretty wild.

Little Comets – Tues 24th Feb (Junction 1)

Indie trio, Little Comets, perform at Junction on Tuesday 24th February. In classically indie style, it’s the sort of stuff you hear if you’re watching ‘Made in Chelsea’ on E4, but the band’s bouncy hooks and vibrant riffs will be sure to keep the spray-on jeans brigade, entertained.

Glass Animals – Mon 2nd March (Junction 2)

Oxford-based four-piece, Glass Animals, have acquired many admirers over the past couple of years. Having drawn the attention of Paul Epworth, it was he that produced the band’s 2014 debut, ‘Zaba’. Their ethereal sound has led to a performance at Junction on 2nd March.

Clean Bandit – Sun 8th March (Corn Exchange)

Founded here in Cambridge, the members of electro-pop group, Clean Bandit, met while studying at Jesus College in 2009. Their ascent to commercial success, however, has been nothing short of astronomical. Their debut LP, ‘New Eyes’, rocketed to number 3 on the UK Albums Chart upon initial release, while their single ‘Rather Be’ has sold over 1 million copies to date, and has spent four weeks at number one.

Paul Weller – Fri 13th March (Corn Exchange)

The father of the 1970s and 80s mod revival, Paul Weller needs no real introduction. The singer-songwriter gained critical recognition during his years with The Jam between 1976-82, before branching out as a solo artist in the late 80s. Oasis, Blur and Arctic Monkeys have cited ‘The Modfather’ as an enduring influence on their music. Weller’s 12th studio album will reportedly be released this spring.