Rookies reign in the rain

Cambridge Pythons defeat Kent.

American Football cambridge pythons sport cambridge

Coming off a home loss last week, the Cambridge University Pythons traveled to Kent to face the Canterbury Christ Church University Chargers in their American football match on Sunday.

This time however, the harsh rains and cold winds couldn’t stop the Pythons from a 58-0 resounding victory against the Chargers.

A snaking run from the Pythons attack. (Photo credit goes to Jack Tavener)

The Pythons started off strong, scoring a touchdown off of the first few offensive plays at the start of the first quarter. Barely any chance was given to the Chargers, with seemingly every Cambridge offensive play culminating in an eventual touchdown.

The strength of attacking play also meant that every other try would lead to a two point conversion following touchdowns. Not to be outmatched by their teammates, a solid defensive team prevented any opposition first downs.

Such was the defensive quality on show that Python’s Ned Bransden would recover a Canterbury fumble and also tackle a Chargers’ quarterback in their own end zone leading to a two point safety and a free kick to the Pythons, both events taking place in the first quarter. There were also multiple sacks by the defensive men.

The Pythons defense held firm throughout the match. (Photo credit to Jack Tavener)

While the opposition were considerably weaker than OBU the week before, the Cambridge team showed marked improvements in  every category: offense, defence and special teams. Plays were sharper, tackles cleaner and discipline higher with very few penalties.

It was an all round team performance, including first Pythons touchdowns for many of the rookie players, including two by James Digby, one each by Sam Roberts and veteran Joe Moore as well as a remarkable four by Tom Zhang, a record for a Pythons rookie, the best of these being a massive 54 yard touchdown run.

Tackling – an aggressive form of hugging. (Photo credit to Jack Tavener)

The Pythons ended the first half 58-0 up but the game was then called by mutual consent leaving it as the final score.

The Pythons now hope to carry the momentum into their final match of this term, the tremendous Varsity Bowl against the Oxford Lancers at CURUFC ground, Grange Road this Sunday, 30th November at 4:00pm.