Rugby Blues train with members of disabled community in Huntingdon

CURUFC members take time out their pre-Varsity schedule for community work

disabled sport Leonard Cheshire Disability Rugby blues rugby cambridge

Cambridge University rugby captain Harry Peck and some of his team mates were given an unusual extra training session when they met a group of disabled people.

The Light Blues linked up with Varsity Match partner, Leonard Cheshire Disability. The team visited to one of the charity’s residential services, The Manor in Huntingdon, on Saturday (8 November).  They were put through their paces in a rugby skills test by the disabled people who live there.

Michael Mortimore, Harry Peck and Will Briggs helping out resident David Warren

Staff and residents at The Manor were thrilled to meet Harry Peck, Seb Tullie, Michael Mortimore, Jack Baker, Fraser Gillies, Will Briggs and Hugo Kelly. The players were challenged to practice their rugby skills in an impromptu match.

After the ball game, the players were invited to put their feet up and have a cup of tea. They spilt the beans on what it’s like to play at the home of English rugby, Twickenham Stadium

“It was great to meet everyone at The Manor and we were made to feel so welcome. Playing the game was great fun and we were impressed with the ball skills shown,” said Harry Peck.

“We know that Cambridge supporters are generous and we have set ourselves the challenge of raising more money for Leonard Cheshire Disability than Oxford. So come on Cambridge, dig deep!

“We have seen first-hand the difference the charity makes to the lives of disabled people and every donation, no matter how big or small, makes a big difference.”

Left to right: Seb Tuillie, Fraser Gillies, Will Briggs, Hugo Kelly, Jack Baker, Harry Peck and Michael Mortimore

One of the residents at The Manor, 55-year-old David Warren, used to play rugby before he sustained a brain injury at 19 years old. He enjoyed the chance to talk about the game he used to love playing.

“It was great to meet some of the players. It has rekindled my passion for rugby. I am so excited about watching the Varsity Match live at Twickenham. We’ll be cheering on the Cambridge team,” said David Warren.

Former England rugby international and double Cambridge Blue, Alastair Hignell, recently launched the partnership between Leonard Cheshire Disability and the Varsity Match. In 2008 he won the BBC Sport Personality of the Year Helen Rollason Award for his work in spreading awareness about multiple sclerosis and was appointed CBE in the 2009 Birthday Honours.

“As a former Cambridge player myself, I was very touched that the players took time out of their busy schedules to visit The Manor. Everyone enjoyed the day and it created quite a buzz,” said Alastair Hignell.

Support Leonard Cheshire Disability and show your support for team Cambridge. Text ‘Cambridge’ to 70660 to donate £5.