LIVE BLOG: Robert Downey Jr lands in Cambridge

The Tab are liveblogging the RDJ event. Get in touch to have your say!

Cambridge Union talk celebrities in cambridge ironman liveblog tab robert downey junior RDJ Robert Downey Junior Robert Downey Junior in Cambridge sherlock holmes

The time has come.

Tonight. As darkness falls. The one and only, Robert Downey Junior will crash-land into the heart of our fair metropolis, ready to take the Union by storm.

The Tab will be live-blogging the talk from start to finish. Tweet us @tabcambridge to have your say!

Watch this space…

19:00 – FIN

Sadly, the talk has had to come to an end. What a great evening – well done Union.

Tonight we’ll be back with more salacious details and the private interview.

It’s been a pleasure.

18:53

and to finish The Tab asks a special question… ARE YOU A FEMINIST?

RDJ: “You bastard! I haven’t found out yet. That’s all make-believe, son.”

18:46

RDJ DROPPING MAD TRUTH BOMBS

“Having a lousy education is no guarantee of failure and having a privileged education is no guarantee of success.”

18:45

Weirdest fan thing?

RDJ: “I got a letter from a fan once saying that ‘It was time to come join my place in the ring of fire'”

Which college shield is your favourite one?

RDJ: “I like the blue one!”

[It’s Lucy Cavendish]

18:42 [It’s a late one]

Here’s a close up…

18:41

RDJ: “Wait a second! Alec Baldwin was here last week?! Uhh…!”

18:39

What would you study if you came to cambridge?

RDJ: “I would study engineering and architecture. My grandfather was an engineer on the Panama Canal.”

18:38

RDJ: “This place is called the chamber… what kinda stuff happens in here?!”

18:37

RDJ on Scarlett Johansson: “She’s great… she’s a new-yorker and she’s very much an east coast type girl. She just kick-assed [in Ironman]. She has a french boyfriend and they just had a kid and I’m really happy for her:

18:33

RDJ: “I’m a high school drop-out. And right now I’m sitting here in Cambridge talking to all of you! That’s an amazing thing for me.”

18:31

RDJ: “Getting tables at restaurants is the coolest thing about being a celebrity.”

18:28

Huge cheers from audience! RDJ is doing some impromptu acting for us…

18:27

Some guy in the audience has just got RDJ to act out some lines for his radio play!!!!

18:25

RDJ: “The best part about playing a superhero is when kids see you and kinda flip out. They’ll stop me and say, “You’re called Ironman aren’t you?”. That’s great — i’ll have that for the rest of my life.”

18:21

Sorry guys — the internet here is really shaky. We are currently unable to update as frequently as we would have hoped.

18:17

Mics keep screwing up. COME ON UNION.

18:13

Omg.

Can we just all take a moment to appreciate how alluring this man is.

FLAMINGO OF DESIRE

18:12

RDJ: “I want to be Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge.”

17:56

IT HAS BEGUN. Sitting a couple of metres from Robbo. He is gentle and the atmosphere has yet to thaw.

17:53

Union President Tim Squirrel says,
“This is all about survival of the keenest. I think it’s great operating in this way because the biggest fans get to see him.”
He went onto suggest that students should skive work for events like these. A role model if I ever saw one…

17:52

And so it begins…

17:49

HE IS HERE

17:38

17:34

DOWNEY IS IN THE BUILDING

17:29

Security officer overheard speaking to Downey’s chauffeur on the radio. Ordered him to go more slowly – does that mean he’s near?…

17:26

Heavy security presence at the back of the Union

17:22

Sneaky insider Anna Mg, gives us the latest

17:13

Union President Tim Squirrell seems calm and collected

17:06

Editors in the interview chamber. I repeat. Editors in the chamber.

Serious journalist faces

16:57

We talked to those waiting patiently in the queue. Keir Baker, a fresher at Selwyn told us, “I’m straight but I would!”

Whilst Emily Wright said, “Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite films – loved him as Tin man!”

16:46

Union official just contacted us saying rumours of “exclusive guests” are untrue. Don’t worry, folks, you’re not going to be pushed out in favour of any fat cats.

16:40

Reporter Anna Mg overhears Union officials saying the BBC won’t be coming because they won’t be able to hear RD Jr’s voice.

16:38

Secret (bar staff) source tells The Tab the man himself will arrive at “six past six.”

16:36

Cunning reporter overheard a Union executive saying over 1,000 people are in the Union compound…

16:06

Rumours are swirling around the queue that many ‘exclusive people’ have been promised a chamber seat, meaning members might miss out.

15:52

Helicopter snapped low over the spires of King’s. Rumour did have it that he was coming by chopper…

15:44

The scene in the Union bar already…

Enthusiastic…