Essential Choons

With Week 1 now like, so last week, MAYA HAMMY provides some essential choonage to congratulate you on all your hard work.

2014 Dance eclectic fornication Music pop r&b

Like walking into a lamp-post because you’re too busy planning what to wear on a swap, without warning we’re already in the throws of the lent term. Congrats! We’re on our way! Only a few more weeks of essay drudgery and interminable lectures, and we’ll soon be tasting the sweet air of Easter holiday freedom…

In honour of this momentous milestone, I thought I’d put together an eclectic 5-choon compilation to keep you marching on through the rest of whatever Lent throws at you: some modern classics, some new cuts, all of the finest quality.

For banishing those pre-supo jitters…

So Beyonce’s eponymous 4th LP has been out for about a month now, and is thus prime remix fodder. Flawless, arguably one of the strongest tracks on the album gets a foot stomping trap-re-work from Boston/Miami/LA based DJ/Producer Madeaux. Putting lashings of bass on an already funked out track makes it almost impossible to listen to this without feeling as powerful as Queen Bey herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6y24YyDpnc

For all the drunken poets and philosophers who think “carpe diem” is a viable post-Life chat up line…

So Long (God is Dead), the Nietzsche-themed opener off Manc quartet Money’s debut album may seem like an oddly melancholic choice, given how horribly depressing Lent can be. But there’s something oddly beautiful about Jamie Lee’s echoing, choral vocal on the track. Despite a mellow opening it manages to soar in a delightfully refreshing way.

For all those cursing Cam winters

Sometimes you just need some Drake in your life. Then again, most of the time he seems all moody and depressed, and, (even in my faithful eyes) horribly overplayed. Ergo, sweet readers/listeners, I present you with this appropriately faithful reggae cover of his classic “Hold on We’re Going Home.” Lay back, pretend it’s summer and let the happy vibes wash over you.

For all the kids who want a pop fix without straying too far from the Cindies playlist…

Danish popstrel Mø is set for big things this year: her much anticipated debut No Mythologies to Follow is slated for release on Feb 24th and this, her second release off said LP is a soulful collection of stripped back xylophones and sweet vocals over a dance-inducing beat of bass and hand-claps. If this isn’t ubiquitous in the next few weeks, Radio 1 will have failed us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCVPJf5ta4

For everyone trying (and failing) to plan a Valentine’s surprise for their other half…

Now for the classic. It is my humble opinion that there should be at least one Prince track on any feel-good playlist ever. The man knows his way around a riff, not to mention he can really rock a pair of heels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2GtWsXac0

Whoa, that’s quite an eclectic mix… So, what music is gonna be keeping you company this fine Lent term?