Pregnant woman assaulted by knifeman in Cambridge

A woman was attacked with a knife in Cambridge last week in a what is being called a ‘random’ attack

alex davis assault Cambridge Cambridge University knife attack

A heavily pregnant woman had her face slashed in an unprovoked attack last Thursday.

Hayley Baker, a young veterinary surgeon, had been Christmas shopping when a runner attacked her in Hertford Street at 8.20pm. Surgeons at Addenbrooke’s hospital have told the 29 year old she will be left with permanent scarring from ear to chin.

Scarred for life: The results of this horrific attack

Speaking to Cambridge News, Mrs Baker was primarily concerned for her 29 year week old unborn baby girl:

“All I could think about was oh gosh my baby.”

The knifeman, believed to be in his 20s, fled the scene and is yet to be identified.

Detective Inspector Jamie Stenton described the incident as “a nasty attack which appears to have been completely random.”

The infamous Hertford Street (image from Google Streetview)

Despite the incident, first-year English student Aarya Mishra remains positive:

“I generally feel safe in Cambridge, especially in comparison to other cities I’ve lived in. Although the incident is horrific, I wouldn’t feel unsafe going back. Cambridge is generally a lovely place so it is a shame that an event like this may make students feel vulnerable.”

Witnesses with any information are being urged to contact Det Insp Stenton on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800555111.