Robinson Edge Past Jesus In Tight Fixture

Robinson beat Jesus 17 – 11 earlier in the week. PATRICK ROGERS has the report.

| UPDATED jesus Pete Hall Robinson Rugby Schweffing

Jesus 11 – 17 Robinson

Remember, remember the 5th of November, as it provided some of the tightest fought encounters in the college rugby calendar. Unbeaten Downing played Selwyn on an equal winning-streak, while bottom of the table Pembroke hoped to hoist themselves out of misery against a below par St. John’s side. The dark horse title contenders also clashed, Jesus playing host to Robinson. Jesus were hoping, on this blustery afternoon, to gain their revenge on a strong Robinson side who managed a draw and a win against them last season.

Hancock catches well from a lineout. (Photo: Viv Sharma)

Having lost to them for the first time in history last season, they came out firing on all cylinders, despite obvious absences such as captain Henry Rose and a full front row. Against the wind in the first half, Robinson did well to contain the Jesus onslaught, even going a penalty ahead before heading in at half time 6-3 – both teams battered and bruised from a physical first half. Cards now on the table, both teams were aware that the second half would decide it. Robinson, with a powerhouse of a pack, direct running centres and some clever kick play by Pollock, scored early in the second half, with hooker Pete Hall crashing through the goal line defence to bundle over and celebrate hysterically.

Jesus rallied with some good phase play, and the skilful number 10 Luscombe playing one of the centres through for a dangerous break. An unlikely last ditch tackle by scrum half Pritchard seemed to hold the ball up over the line, but without the use of TMO the referee awarded Jesus the 5 points, putting the match at a nervous 11-10 in favour of the home side. Sparkhall, Commin and Francois all seemed to fancy themselves to break through the Jesus backline but some good tackling and a period of error-strewn panic from Robinson caused immense frustration, the team relying on the wind and Pollock’s superb kicking to keep them in good attacking positions.

The referee being difficult. (Photo: Viv Sharma)

Eventually, Binson found a way through, again through the unlikely hero of Pete Hall, apparently better known for his schweffing on Lucy Cavendish girls than any real rugby ability. However, the burly engineer battered his way through a weary defence to put Robinson 17-11 ahead, a result they managed to cling to through some sterling work in the line-out by Sandow and Hancock – the latter of which rallied the troops with what must have been an inspirational speech with ten minutes remaining. It looks as though the Robinson-Selwyn match will be a really pivotal fixture.