What’s On: Week 5

The Tab Culture team scour the town for events to break the exam term monotony.

culture Film Music Opera Theatre what's on

It’s a bit of a quiet week in Cambridge as everything shuts down for exams. But we have scoured the town to find you some sources of distraction.

THEATRE

ENGLISH TOURING OPERA

Cambridge Arts Theatre
7.30pm Fri 24th and Sat 25th May
Tickets from £15
Info available HERE

The last two nights of English Touring Opera’s stay in Cambridge: Mozart’s Cosi Tan Futte on Friday and Verdi’s Simon Boccanegra on Saturday. A chance to see something different at a pretty reasonable price.

FILM

1) MUD

Arts Picturehouse, St. Andrew’s Street
Various Times
£ 6.50 off-peak / £7.50 peak
Info and tickets HERE

“Mud” tells the story of of two boys who befriend a conman hiding from bounty-hunters and in search of his true love. Writer-director Jeff Nichols’ third film confirms him as one of Hollywood’s most promising young talents.

2) EPIC

Vue Cienema, Grafton Centre
Various Times
£6.75 off-peak / £7.95 peak
Info and tickets HERE

The makers of the “Ice Age” films return with the animated adventure of a teenage girl (voiced by Amanda Seyfried) who finds herself in herself in an enchanted forest. Colin Farrell, Josh Hutcherson and Beyoncé Knowles co-star.

3) AMOUR

Graduate Union, Mill Lane
8pm, Tues 28th May
Free for university members
Info available HERE

Octogenarians Georges and Anne find their marriage tested after Anne suffers a stroke. The touching portrayal of love in old age won director Michael Haneke a Best Foreign-Language Oscar.

MUSIC

1) SUE RICHARDSON 

Hidden Rooms
7:30pm, Thurs 23rd May
£12 concessions
Info and tickets HERE

Live Jazz performance of some of Chet Baker’s famous recordings as well as some of his lesser known work.   

2) ACOUSTICS AND ART

CB2, Norfolk Street
8pm, Thursday 30th May
£5
Info HERE

Annie Dressner, Dan Whitehouse and Zak Thomas will be serving up singer-song writer acoustic tunes in CB2’s cosy basement.

MISC.

1) CAMBRIDGE BEER FESTIVAL

Jesus Green
Until Sat 25th May
Tues-Fri 12pm-3pm free, 5pm-10pm £4 / Sat 12pm-10.30pm £3
Info available HERE

Sure, so the middle of exam period isn’t when we’d ideally have our local beer festival, but it’s still worth a look. The UK’s longest-running and second-biggest beer festival, it features a large range of domestic and foreign beers, ciders and meads, as well as cheeses and meat pies.

2) THE CULTURED RAINFOREST

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Downing St
Until Sat 1st June
Free
Info available HERE

Rejecting the idea of the rainforest as wilderness, this exhibition strives to show how man has interacted with the rainforest in Borneo for millennia. Beautiful photos and film, including 360 panoramas, should mean there’s something for the arty kids as well as the anthropologists.