Varsity Water Polo – Oxford sunk by Cambridge brilliance

Oxford went down to one of their biggest defeats in years in Varsity water polo, and ANNA SUTCLIFFE was there to see it

Anna Sutcliffe cambridge water polo oxford water polo varsity water polo 2013

Having beaten Oxford two weeks previously in a close BUCS match the Cambridge team were feeling quietly confident but knew that they were going to have to produce an impressive performance if they wanted to repeat the victory.

Cambridge could feel reasonably confident but didnt expect the scale of defeat of Oxford

Oxford quickly scored the first goal of the match, but this was to be the only time they would lead as the Light Blues displayed superb defence throughout the match with brilliant steals from Alex Kellaway, speedy counters from Emily Grader and some awesome saves from the team’s new goalkeeper Bethany Eastwood.

Bethany Eastwood worked wonders in goal, robustly defending all of Oxford’s shots

Possession was dominated by the Cambridge ladies

Cambridge’s attack was similarly impressive throughout the entirety of the match with players across the team scoring goals in quick succession. Particular mention should be given to Sophie Clarke who was firing in shots from all positions showing incredible versatility.

Oxford could do little to stop the persistant Cambridge with their shots on target

It didn’t take long for it to become clear that Cambridge were by far the superior team, and to the cheers of an incredible home crowd they steadily increased the goal difference with Julia Heckenast scoring a fantastic goal just before the final whistle to end the match with a score of 18-4 to the Light Blues.

Victory ended with the traditional jump in the pool celebrations…

…not without key man and coach Nick Ludford!