Gilmour’s Coming Home

Girton have announced they’re taking Charlie back after his spell in the slammer.

cenotaph charlie gilmour CUSU fees gilmour outrage prison protests punishment wanker

Charlie Gilmour will return to Cambridge in October.

Girton Historian Charlie, the adopted son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, was released from prison in November after serving four of his 16-month jail sentence.

King of the swingers

He was convicted last summer after swinging from the cenotaph and throwing a bin at a Prince Charles’ convoy in last year’s student protests, in what he tried to pass off as a momentary lapse of reason.

There had been speculation about his future, but Girton revealed today that the historian would be coming back in October to complete his degree.

The reprieve comes “subject to him providing, and abiding by, assurances as to his future good behaviour.”

The news will be welcomed by CUSU, who campaigned for his return once he had done his time.

Students have already begun calling this a great day for freedom. Girton JCR President Alex Wessely told The Tab “I think this is a brave move by college, as it will undoubtedly prove unpopular with some parts of the media.

“Personally, I think Charlie’s been punished enough and deserves the chance to finish his education.”

Some Girtonians were less kind however, with an anonymous 3rd year telling us that “He’s a twat. Hope he’s learned his lesson. Good luck trying to forge a career, Charlie!”