Interview: Style Blogger Rosalind Jana

JOY STARKEY speaks to fashion blogger ROSALIND JANA about her top style tips, and what she’d wear to a university interview.

charity shops fashion Joy Starkey london fashion week street style vintage fashion

Blogger Rosalind Jana has been the talk of the fashion world since winning Vogue’s long running
Young Writers’ Competition at a mere 16 years old. 
She was snapped by hundreds of street style bloggers as she graced the pavements of London Fashion Week last month and her blog Clothes, Cameras and Coffee is now read worldwide.

I spoke to Rosalind about her style inspiration, top beauty buys and what she would wear to a university interview.

Joy Starkey: Why did you decide to write a fashion blog?

Rosalind Jana: A combination of things: being inspired by other successful style bloggers, the initial wish to one day work as a fashion designer (my aspirations have now altered to author instead) and a desire to find other people who were interested in style and photography.

JS: Which trends for this season are you most excited about and which ones will you steer clear of?

RJ: I’ll start with the dislike – so called ‘fetish wear’. For me it just doesn’t translate into day-to-day wear. This season, I love I all the strong colours, along with the 40s elegance. I am quite taken by glittery brogues paired with with Prada’s 60s style dresses and coats.

JS: Who is your ultimate fashion idol?

RJ: I don’t have one specific icon – but love both Twiggy and Katharine Hepburn. I love the carefree 60s style of the former, and the absolute elegance of the latter. However, someone else whose style I admire (even if I wouldn’t necessarily emulate it) is Camila Batmanghelidjh. I can’t think of anyone else who expresses their personality so perfectly through their clothes.

JS: Why do you think fashion blogs have become such a big part of the fashion industry?

RJ: They offer a very personal approach to fashion and style – the readers feel like they really know the person writing the articles or posting the photos. They are simply a different medium to that of magazines, and the two can easily exist alongside each other. But although blogs are acknowledged within the fashion industry (and some bloggers such as Style Bubble and Style Rookie are highly respected), the rest are not always appreciated.

JS: What is your top beauty buy?

RJ: The perfect shade of red lipstick. I am currently looking to replace the Rimmel one I lost. It brightens up any outfit, and has the plus-side of making one feel ever so slightly like Lauren Bacall.

JS: What are your tips for creating individual style?

RJ: I think it is (surprise surprise!) up to the individual. What interests you? What kind of persona do you want to project? What are you inspired by? My answer to that last one would be old films, literature, the work of both contemporary and classic photographers and anything else I come across. I love finding alternative places for clothes other than the high street – charity shops, eBay, vintage shops and flea markets can all yield treasures you are unlikely to find anyone else wearing.

JS: Finally, I understand you’re interested in applying to Oxford or Cambridge, if you had to plan your interview outfit now what would you wear?

RJ: What a great question! I think that my outfit of choice at the moment would be a fitted vintage turquoise-blue angora cardigan with a vintage grey leather belt (it has a gorgeous silver buckle), worn with a pair of 70s cream culottes and some grey tartan tights. Perhaps with grey brogues too? Oh, and plenty of costume jewellery!