Cameron’s Campaign Chooses Corpus

Corpus Christi features on a new tourism campaign launched by David Cameron, acting as a symbol of the UK’s dominance in education.

Cambridge cambridge students Cambridge University Corpus corpus chrisit corpus christi college david cameron great britain london riots new york Papatya Sutcliffe Prime Minister riots tourism tourism campaign tourists

A new tourism campaign launched by David Cameron features Corpus Christi college on one of its key posters. 

Announced by Mr Cameron on his recent trip to New York, the 10 poster campaign cost a total of £500,000.

The ads for Britain each consist of a large image with the caption ‘…is GREAT (Britain)’.  The poster focusing on ‘Knowledge’ showcases Cambridge, using Corpus Christi’s college chapel as the background.

Camille Savinien, vice-president of Corpus JCR told The Tab: “I personally think it is very flattering to be chosen, out of the many other British institutions dedicated to teaching and research, to represent Britain’s academic excellence.

“That said, I also think that it is a well-deserved honour, reflecting Cambridge and Corpus students and staff’s high commitment to their chosen field of studies, and the successes they encounter in the latter.”

The poster showing off Corpus

Other features of British life highlighted by the campaign include ‘Sport’, ‘Heritage’ and ‘Innovation’. Mr Cameron said that the campaign aims to demonstrate that “there will be only one place to be” in 2012.

He added: “There are so many great things about Britain and we want to send out the message loud and proud that this is a great place to do business, to invest, to study and to visit.”

This big money campaign – launched by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport – will hopefully attract an extra 4 million tourists over the next 5 years, and create over 400,000 jobs by 2016. It is also partly a response to the negative press created by last month’s rioting in London.

Using Cambridge for inspiration comes as little surprise, after the Uni topped the QS world university rankings again this year, and was voted ‘Happiest University in the UK’ by students.