Willets Wants A-Level “Blacklist”

Uni Minister David Willets has called for all Universities to publish lists of A-Levels they see as soft.

a-levels ben shaw blacklist citizenship Coalition Dance david willets ict lse photography Sheffield social mobility soft Trinity Trinity College university university minister

Universities Minister David Willets has revealed that in the future all unis will be forced to reveal their A-level “blacklists”.

Unis will be made to publish a list of courses that they think are “soft” as part of new coalition policy.

Willets hopes that the move will improve social mobility and give kids from tough comprehensives a better chance of going to the best unis.

At the moment, many students are unknowingly shut out from the top institutions for studying subjects such as: Media Studies, Dance and Psychology.

Willetts said: “Young people need to know if there are banned subjects. It is far better this information is out there rather than secret.”

Currently, only a few institutions reveal their A-level “blacklists”, including our very own Trinity College, Cambridge.

Trinity’s website warns prospective applicants to steer clear of subjects such as: Accounting, Citizenship, Photography and ICT, saying they are only appropriate as a 4th subject.

Ben Shaw, a 2nd year Comp Sci from John’s, agreed with Trinity’s choices: “ICT is pretty gash – my school didn’t even offer it.”

LSE and Sheffield also currently give guidance on what A-Levels to avoid.

It’s expected that the requirement to publish “blacklists” could come into force under new higher education legislation likely to be introduced in 2012.