What To Do On New Year’s Eve

Take a look at The Tab’s guide to the best 2011 NYE parties.

baby simple Bristol callooh callay Cambridge edinburgh favela chic hmv picture house London Manchester New Year New Years Eve Oxford The Place the ritz thekla

NYE is approaching. You still don’t know: what you’re doing, what you’re wearing, where you’re going, and what you’re going to be missing. Luckily, this year, you need not miss a thing. The Tab has already taken a look at what the best clubs near you are offering and compiled a handy guide. Perfect.

1) NYE 1933 @ Callooh Callay, Shoreditch, London

London is the hub of NYE celebrations. But, for those of you who don’t want to watch the fireworks in the cold, there are other options. On NYE, the quirky cocktail bar Callooh Callay will be transformed into a 1930s, American candy store. Girls: get out your cigarette holders, guys: put on your pinstripes and dress to impress!

Time: 6pm – late

Price: £10 standing, or £15 seated (including Teapot Punch and G&T jellies)

Dress Code: Molls and Gangsters

Location: 65 Rivington Street, Shoreditch, London, EC2A 3AY (nearest tube station: Shoreditch High Street)

Drinks: Cocktails: £8. Spirit and Mixers: £7. Bottle of house wine: £18.

2) Secousse @ Favela Chic, London

For those of you who fell in love with African culture on your gap yah, this is the place to be. It promises an ‘electro-fied journey through the African continent’ with live music and dancers to transport you from icy England to exotic Africa.

Time: 8pm – 4am

Price: £20

Location: 91-93 Great Eastern Street, London, EC2A 3HZ (nearest tube station: Old Street)

Price: Cocktails from £7. Vodka and Coke: £6.

3) Official Aftershow Hogmanay Party @ HMV Picture House, Edinburgh

Although, sadly, the Hogmanay concert in the gardens and ceilidh have now sold out, there are still tickets left for the official after show party, with live electro-house music from Booka Shade. Tim Green and Gary Beck are also rumoured to be playing.

Time: 10pm – late

Price: £33.50

Location: 31 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2DJ (easiest buses: 22, 30, 10, 11, 15, 15A, 16, 17 or 24)

Drinks: Beer from £3.80 per bottle. Wine from £10.00 per bottle.

4) From Russia with Love @ The Ritz, Manchester

Fellas, if you’re looking for a boy to kiss at midnight, look no further. This is a ‘gay electro-house communist-themed night.’ Of course. Accompanying the electro-house music will be some spectacular performances from: fire-breathers, gymnasts, dancers, and ‘communist style entertainers’ (whatever they might be…)

Time: 10.30pm – 5am

Price: £15 (+ £1.80 booking fee online) or £18 on the door

Dress code: Chic!

Location: Whitworth Street West, Manchester, M1 5NQ (nearest train station: Oxford Road)

Drinks: Double vodka mixers: £2.50. Shots: £1.

5) Butterfly Masked Ball @ Baby Simple, Oxford

If you fancy heading over to the dark side for NYE, try this. Taking its theme from the poem by William Roscoe and the later book by Alan Aldridge, this ball should be magical.  There will be entertainment including: glass walking, fakir fire, films, roving insects, and face painting.

Time: 8pm – 5am

Price: £15 + booking fee

Dress code: Creepy crawly couture. There will also be a costume prize for the best dressed costume of an original copy of the books The Butterfly Ball and The Grasshopper’s Feast by Alan Aldridge.

Location: 213 Cowley Rd, Oxford, OX4 1XF (near the Manville Resource Centre)

Drinks: Free glass of champagne on entrance

6) The Great Flood @ Thekla, Bristol

Never again will you get the opportunity to see a rhinoceros try to get it on with a hamster. It’s time to whip out your whiskers and tails for this animal-themed night, situated on an actual boat. Despite being a slightly surreal concept, this has potential to be a fun, or at least funny, night.

Time: 9pm -6am

Price: £8 advance (+ booking fee)

Dress code: Animals

Location: The Grove, Bristol, BS1 4RB

7) Moulin Rouge @ The Place, Cambridge

For those of you who were just that keen to get back to Cambridge to use the library, there’s plenty going on there too. Our very own Place (you know the one: sweaty ceilings, vomming students…) is having a Moulin Rouge themed night.

Time: 9pm – 4am

Price: £12.95 online, or £18.50 on the door

Location: I imagine most of you are already acquainted with The Place, but for those of you that aren’t: it’s on Sidney Street, on the same side of the road as Sidney.

Drinks: Cocktails from £5.95. Pitchers: £15.

Whatever you’re doing, The Tab wishes you a very Happy New Year. And, if you’re planning on going to a great party that we’ve forgotten, spread the word by commenting below.