Profile: Who Are The Hawks’ Club?

For most of the university, the Hawks’ Club is the place where Blue-tacs disappear on Sunday and Wednesday nights on the arms of tricenarian land economists.

blues sport hawks' club ian ralby sports centre sports complex

The group of old boys who have injected new life into the campaign for a university sports complex describe themselves as “resident and alumni members of the Hawks’ Club”.

For the rest of the week, the Club serves as the communal watering hole of anyone who manages to play a recognised sport against Oxford.

The Hawks’ Club dining room, the scene of a particularly colourful evening last year.

The Hawks’ were set-up when the Eagles, the John’s sports society, rejected the idea of including sportsmen from other colleges in 1870.

Two years later a group of mainly cricketers – who, oddly, don’t seem to have represented the university against Oxford at any sport – set-up the club.

Its headquarters is situated behind former-Tab HQ the Maypole on Portugal Place, overlooking the houses where so many of its senior members take residence.

Fact File

Founded: 1872

Members: University Sportsmen who have earned a Blue, Half Blue or Second Team Colours competing in a Varsity match against Oxford.

President: Ian Ralby,St John’s College

Colours: Maroon and Gold

Did you know?: They promote and run the door of Cindies on Wednesday and Life on Sunday.

Notable alumni

Mike Atherton OBE – former England cricket captain.

HRH Charles, Prince of Wales – the heir to the throne was elected as a Hawks’ Club member in 1968 as a polo player.

Hugh Laurie OBE – the actor, comedian and footlights alumnus found time to pick up a full Blue rowing in the Boat Race in 1980.

Lord Bilimoria – the founder of Cobra beer attended Sidney Sussex in 1988.