Emma Win College Cook-Off

Emma’s chefs have triumphed in Cambridge’s annual culinary competition, ahead of Sidney, Girton, John’s, Christ’s and Murray Edwards.

Cambridge University chef cooking emmanuel Sidney Sussex waiter

Emma won this year’s annual Culinary Competition, beating the three-time winners Sidney.

The college’s finest chefs and waiters were presented with the Stewards’ Cup, which is awarded to the highest scoring team at a private ceremony at Christ’s on 18th November.

The event was judged by Peter Griffiths MBE, director of Le Salon Culinaire International de Londres and a team of industry experts.

A grand total of 14 different colleges took part, with 65 chefs battling it out to find out who is the master chef.

On 26th October, 12 cooks made a meal of it at Cambridge Regional College, where they were required to produce a two course meal for two in just 90 minutes.

The competition culminated in a grand finale on 4th November at Cambridge Guildhall, where the chefs competed in eight different categories, including ‘Canapés’, ‘Hot Vegetarian Main Course’ and ‘Petit Fours’.

Waiting on staff also had the chance to show off their skills by competing in two further categories: ‘Table Laying and Waiting Skills’ and ‘Table Decorations with Christmas Theme’.

Emma were awarded first prizes in five categories: ‘Live Competition’, ‘Canapés’, ‘Cold Starter’, ‘Hot Main’ and ‘Afternoon Tea Cakes’.  Sidney, Girton, John’s, Christ’s and Murray Edwards were awarded one first prize each.

Judith Sloane, one of the competition’s organisers said: “Once again we have been delighted by the very high standard of the entries across all the classes. The judges had a tough job to choose the winners and pass on their congratulations to everyone who entered.

The live event where chefs had to produce two courses in just 90 minutes provided the usual exciting atmosphere.”

Class winners at the ceremony

Emma entered the competition with the biggest team of twelve competitors. And, it came as no surprise to Emma’s students that their chefs came out triumphant.

James Kellett, a second year student at Emma, commented: “Emma food is usually pretty reliable.”

However, he added: “They do have the occasional shocker, though. They threw in a veggie day without warning recently, where there was no normal food.”

Sidney students have also noted a decline in regular meat options. Second year Sidney student George Roberts commented, “Sidney food is pretty good for what you pay… if only there didn’t seem to be beef canneloni on the menu every other day.”

He added, “The student body also dealt itself a self-inflicted blow last year when somehow the JCR disastrously squeezed through a ‘veggie Tuesday’ motion, depriving any meat-eater of much choice once a week.”