Rugby Season To Open With Crunch Matches

The rugby season will begin with the ‘big three’ colleges all playing each other in the opening weeks, the new fixture list reveals.

college rugby division 1 rugby downing rugby jesus rugby john's rugby Rugby

The new rugby season will begin with the ‘big three’ colleges all playing each other in the opening weeks, the new fixture list reveals.

Reigning champions John’s will take on Downing at home in a massive opening-day encounter, with the Red Boys hoping to continue their unbeaten record going back to 2006.

John’s won the league and cuppers double last season, although their close fought 12-10 victory over Downing in November might give hope to those eyeing an early shock.

Old rivals John’s and Jesus will face eachother again on October 26th, after two bad-tempered encounters last year.

The season’s curtain raiser also sees the Division 1 new boys Magdalene and Queens’ clash, while last year’s joint runners-up Jesus take on Trinity at home.

Jesus then face away trips to Downing and John’s in weeks two and three, after which the pattern at the top of the table could already be clear.

Jesus captain Jaimie Miller told The Tab he wasn’t concerned by having big matches early on: “John’s traditionally make a slow start to the season, with most of their players more focused on matching the red of their dank jumpers and 80s tracksuits with this autumn’s trendy shades of lipstick.”

“As for Downing, we’re filthy we didn’t get to play them in the League last year. Maybe if they’d been able to hang around in Cuppers a bit longer…”

The fixtures in the lower divisions have not yet been confirmed, owing to the fact that the final promotion place  for Division 2 and Division 3 Pool A have not yet been finalised. There will be a  play-off between Emmanuel and CCK (Clare, Corpus and King’s) to determine who is promoted to the second division in the first week of term.

Look out for The Tab’s upcoming rugby season preview…

—————————————————————————–
Last season’s Division 1 standings

[standings league_id=5 template=extend logo=true]

Provisional Division 1 fixtures

(Michaelmas term only)

Tues 12th October

John’s v Downing

Jesus v Trinity

Queens’ v Magdalene

Tuesday 19th October

Downing v Jesus

Trinity v Queens’

Magdalene v John’s

Tuesday 26th October

John’s v Jesus

Queens’ v Downing

Trinity v Magdalene

Tuesday 2nd November

Trinity v John’s

Magdalene v Downing

Jesus v Queens’

Tuesday 9th November

Queens’ v John’s

Downing v Trinity

Magdalene v Jesus

Tuesday 16th November

John’s v Queens’

Trinity v Downing

Jesus v Magdalene

Tuesday 23rd November

John’s v Trinity

Downing v Magdalene

Queens’ v Jesus

Tuesday 30th November

Downing v John’s

Trinity v Jesus

Magdalene v Queens’