Mumps Madness

Promising ADC production ‘The Alchemist’ has been cancelled after an outbreak of mumps.

ADC Addenbrookes Joey Batey marlowe society mumps the alchemist

Promising ADC production 'The Alchemist' has been cancelled after an outbreak of mumps.

Several cases of the disease have been reported around the university, with some students hospitalised.

The renowned Marlowe Society was forced to call off the long awaited production of Ben Jonson’s 'The Alchemist' at the last minute.

Eager ticket buyers have been left disappointed and awaiting refunds.

Ticket buyer, Rose Harvey, told The Tab, “It was such as shame it got cancelled. The cast were really talented and we were all looking forward to seeing them.” 

The show's protagonist, Joey Batey, became infected in Denmark. He fell  victim to the outbreak amongst the cast members of the British Shakespeare Association’s production of Hamlet. 

Mumps is a very infectious viral disease. Symptoms include swelling of the glands, severe lack of energy and fever.

The University suffered a previous mumps outbreak in 2004. It poses a great danger to current students, with those born between 1982 and 1990 especially susceptible to the virus.

People born in this time frame are more likely not to have been immunised, and many of those who were only received a single dose of MMR.

Dr Paul Hartle, Senior Tutor at St Catharine's College, told The Tab : "The University's Advisory Group on Communicable Diseases has, since the middle of April, been receiving reports of a small number of Mumps cases in the Colleges.

"From those affected, it is clear that a theatre tour in Europe was perhaps the major source of the infection.

"College Nurses have been notified and are taking appropriate measures."

However, he was quick to add that "No new notifications have been received for at least a week."

A spokesman for Addenbrookes hospital warned students how important it is to have boosters. 

Mumps can lead to infertility in men. Antonia Eklund, whose boyfirend is currently suffering from mumps, told The Tab, “His balls were the size of space hoppers.”  

If you think you might be suffering for mumps, the NHS website provides some basic advice on treatment: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Mumps/Pages/Treatment.aspx .