Netball Girls Fire Up for Varsity with Exclusive Shoot

See the photos from The Tab’s exclusive photo shoot with Cambridge’s Netballers.

blues netball cambridge netball emma darke netball varsity oxford netball photoshoot

Cambridge’s Netballers have entered the final phase of their preparations for this Saturday’s Varsity fixtures with an exclusive photo shoot for The Tab.

The Blues team have enjoyed an extraordinarily successful season so far in both League and Cup, losing only one match, which was against Nottingham’s 2nd team. Highlights include a memorable 108–9 victory over a Worcester side and a 32–21 win over Nottingham Trent.

The Blues are currently top of their regional league and two wins away from being crowned champions. They have stormed into the semi-finals of the Cup, where they are set to go head-to-head with the University of Wolverhampton for a place in the final.

The Blues team poses for the camera.

Their Dark Blue rivals have had a much less happy time of it this year, losing 5 times in Michaelmas alone.

Despite this, the Oxford side remains bullish in its outlook, an un-named source within the Dark Blue camp commenting “the general consensus in the squad is that the fact that the Tabs have chickened out of the usual post-match Varsity Dinner suggests that they already consider themselves well and truly beaten.

Cambridge captain Emma Darke had this to say in advance of the game “Losing is just not an option for us. We’ve got a slick Netball team with a winning mentality. We’re possibly the only team in BUCS this year to score over 100 goals in a single game – I’d fancy our chances.”

Superstar goal-shooter Jess McGeorge in action.

The Jays, who are seeking to avenge their narrow 35-33 defeat in last year’s Varsity, have had a slightly more mixed season to date. Impressive wins against Leicester University 1sts and Northampton 1sts have been tempered somewhat by tight losses to Lincoln and Worcester.

A confident Jays line-up.

Nonetheless, the mood in the Jays camp is upbeat, particularly since their Oxonian counterparts, the Roos, were yet to register a win this season at the start of February.

Insiders in the CULNC squad are, however, a little wary about something. Unconfirmed rumours are flying around about Oxford’s feisty South African head coach, who is alleged to have bought a lifeguard stand so that she can bellow out orders to her team. Let’s hope for our girls’ sake that these rumours prove not to be true…

Both the Blues and the Jays face their Oxford counterparts in this Saturday’s Varsity matches. The Tab will bring you exclusive coverage from Oxford’s Iffley Road complex.