University study showing health benefits of Diet drinks was funded by Coke

‘Diet drinks are a great way to diet and yet enjoy treats every so often.’

The University has recently come under fire concerning a dietary study about the health benefits of Diet Coke. The study claimed that diet drinks may in fact be a better option than water in helping people lose weight.

However, it has recently been discovered that this study was funded by a food industry task force of which fizzy drinks giants Coca-Cola and Pepsi are actually members.

The study was regarded as a monumental revelation as it hypothesized that because diet drinks did not increase appetite and lacked the sugar content of the flagship products, they were in fact a great way to diet and yet enjoy treats every so often. Thus, the study clearly showed Coke and the entire fizzy drinks industry in a positive light.

Professor Pete Rodgers was the lead on the study and said: “We believe that we should shift the question from whether LES are ‘good’ or ‘bad,’ and rather focus on how they should be best used in practice to help in the achievement of specific public health goals, such as the reduction of intakes of free sugars and energy.”

Although, a report by the Sunday Times has caused the investigation to come under scrutiny and close examination.

However, a Sunday Times report claimed the university had placed no indication of how the research was funded when It was declared. The University later told the paper this was due to “reasons of space.”

The study was published within the International Journal of Obesity, displaying its various funding partners including ILSI’s eating behavior and energy balance taskforce. Companies such as Coke are part of this group.

Although, the Sunday Times argues the study never makes clear that Pete Rodgers is actually chairman of this taskforce.

When questioned by the Sunday Times about this issue, professor Rodgers stated the research was “entirely independent.” The University further stated that all studies rely on “robust evidence” which has been reviewed by other peers in the department.