These are Birmingham students’ official ins and outs for 2024

According to Kylie Jenner, 2024 is essentially the year of ‘realising things’

We are into the third month of 2024, and inevitably many of us have long forgotten about the New Year’s resolutions that we promised we’d stick to this year. Amidst the chaos of semester two, many UoB students have been too busy trying to become an academic weapon (I’m still trying…) that our goals for the new year have been completely pushed to the side. However, as we enter the month of March there is no need to panic if you haven’t managed the 7am gym sessions that you swore you’d do everyday.

A lot can change in two months, and it’s hard to keep up with the ever-changing fashion and lifestyle trends that flood social media and our social lives. It’s important to recognise that some things which were “all the rage” in January need to be left in the past, and others deserve to stick around for the foreseeable. Waking up early, saving money, and the viral “clean girl aesthetic” are undoubtedly IN, and it’s never too late to hop on the trend.

Now that we’ve passed the halfway point of the semester, here is The Tab Birmingham’s ultimate list of what’s IN and what’s OUT to help you romanticise what’s left of the academic year in the coolest way possible.

Out: Ubering to town

Realistically, we don’t need to be spending a tenner each time we take a quick trip to Primark. Most of us are guilty of it, especially if you live over a five-minute walk from the station (zero excuses to Uber if you live on Heeley road). The money you save from getting public transport instead can be spent more wisely – e.g. treating yourself to fries AND mozzarella sticks from Dixy’s after a night out at Circo. The new rule of thumb; no wasting money on Ubers (unless you’re heading to Broad Street, in which case Ubering may be the only option to get you there before next year).

In: The new University Station

After three years in the making, it’s full steam ahead for Birmingham’s brand new University train station (get it). We’re saving money in 2024, and for roughly £3 and a seven minute journey from campus to New Street, it would be rude not to take the train into town. Who knows, perhaps this year is the revival of train pres.

This is how we are going to get to town now in 2024. We are saving money, and travelling like students. I don’t want to hear anything else.

Read more: Birmingham’s brand new University Railway Station building is now open to the public

Out: Going to bed past 3 am

At this point in the year, I would probably say it’s unacceptable to be going to bed past midnight. I assume many of us included “sleep early and wake up early” in our New Years Resolutions, and miserably failed. I get it, I’ve had to order an old fashioned alarm clock to wake me up in the morning due to staying up all night.

As we’re getting close to exam season, I would say it’s time to suck it up and go to bed early. What is there to do? Most clubs close before 3am anyways!

In: Clean Girl Aesthetic

Although you may see the “clean girl aesthetic’ coming in full force this year; Uggs, Stanley cups and lip balms, don’t let it fool you. It’s an illusion, (at least in my case). We may give off the impression that we’ve got our lives together because of the effortless no makeup-makeup, but in reality we’ve probably spent more time attempting to get the perfect slick back instead of doing the essential seminar reading. As long as I walk around campus looking like I’ve got my life in order, then who cares if I haven’t started the assignment that’s due in 48 hours?

Note – I am extremely guilty of the clean girl aesthetic. Am I complaining? Absolutely not.

Out: Not being bothered to go to seminars and lectures

Snoozing through your 9am lecture is so “first-half of the semester”. Now that crunch time is soon approaching, we should all try our best to leave the sofa and brave the seminar (even if it’s the first one you’ve been to all year – better late than never!) For most of us it’s a struggle, but remember there is nothing on this earth more rewarding than seeing Old Joe shine in all his red brick glory.

In: Tea

Trust me on this one. Any type of herbal tea will do the trick, it’s basically medicine for when you’re not feeling your best and you need a comforting pick-me-up. It also adds to the “I have everything under control” illusion, especially when surrounded by students chaotically chugging a Red Bull. A word of advice – the more exciting the packaging, the better. Even if you think it tastes gross, at least it will look colourful and cool on your shelf (next to the Aldi instant coffee and pot noodles).

Out: Overconsumption

I am guilty of it. TikTok shop is essentially killing the student loans off. It’s just so easy to buy your favourite top from Free People as a £2 dupe. But we need to stop. The pile of empty packages in the recycling bin have got to go – we don’t need them. We’ve got bigger things to spend money on; Circo drinks. Imagine waking up and checking your bank account after a night out and not feeling guilty because you didn’t just spend a tenner on TikTok shop. Instead, it went on Tequila Rose shots from the night before! You wouldn’t regret that (potentially you might).

In: Sticking to themes

We’ve all been to the Guild on sports night and witnessed the club-goers who put their heart and soul into a costume. We’ve also seen those who throw on a pair of cat ears and call it a day. Honestly no shame, but in 2024 it’s time for Birmingham to go all-out, especially for sports night. Putting on a pair of sunglasses just will not cut it anymore. We want to see drama. Mayhem. We want to see you walking into the Guild in a cardboard box if you must.

Tennis society understood the assignment. This is what we like to see.

Relates stories recommended by this writer:

• I took one for the team and went to the Snobs closing party so you didn’t have to

• Five lies we were told as Brum freshers and why you shouldn’t believe them

• Clubbing chronicles: What your choice of Brum nightlife says about you