UoB grads now have their own comedy show

We spoke to them about their show and their time at Brum

birmingham the tab the tab bham the tab birmingham the tab brum university of birmingham UoB

Jack Robertson, 26, and Chazz Redhead, 25, have been officially performing together for two years now. Their story begins right here, at UoB, where Jack studied English Literature and Drama, and Chazz studied English Literature and Creative Writing.

Chazz was a prominent member of the Footnotes Comedy Society and was once head writer. He also directed the Watch This Improve Troupe, of which Jack was a member.  They first met during their first year while working on their first play at the guild together, which was Spring Awakening by Frank Wedekind.

When asked about their time at Birmingham, they said that they “had the best times being in plays, doing sketch shows and musicals and improv – it was an incredibly creative environment in which we felt we could do whatever we wanted, and experiment with lots of great ideas, and even a few terrible ones. It was a supportive and thriving student world at UoB and we learnt so much from our time there”.

The duo revealed that the sketches that make up their show just come from silly ideas they have had, usually late at night or during long train journeys. Some of the sketches are even written on the same day of a show. They add that their aim is “keep everything very silly”, something they definitely succeed in.

The sketches were varied in their themes and how inappropriate they were. They weren’t afraid to cross some lines, which makes their show unique in its own way. The show was topical, clever, and had everyone in pieces – at the end one girl told me that her face hurt from laughing so much.

When speaking to Jack and Chazz it was clear that they love what they do, which is another thing that makes the show so enjoyable.

When asked about what advice they can give to new students, Jack said that he “would recommend to students to always be on top of your essays and uni work and never leave things to the last minute.”

He added: “go out there and try something new. There are so many options and opportunities, societies and clubs – get stuck into one and try it out. You might hate it or it may be something that becomes a huge part of your life after uni. Meet as many people as possible and talk about everything and enjoy yourself.”