The battle of Selly’s three best chicken shops

Because apparently Roosters isn’t the only one

chicken hate love no selly selly oak the tab birmingham the tab brum yes

It’s 11pm on a Saturday night, and you’re drunkenly moving from pre’s over to the guild to get your night in Fab started. On the way, you realise how hungry you are and decide now is the time to live your life to the full and buy some wonderful greasy chicken. You’re torn though; what’s your safest bet? What chicken will make your night?

The hardest decision you’ll ever have to make

Worry no more. The research has been done for you, the numbers have been crunched, and the scores are in. Below is the guide to Selly’s greatest chicken shop triad.

Dixy’s 

Simple and sweet

The chosen meal deal for Dixy’s was 2 sizzler wings and chips for £1.75.

Aesthetic: The box is short, sharp, and to the point. It’s pleasing to the eye, and easy to distinguish on a cold night. Promising so far.

Taste: Sad to say the food inside the box is underwhelming. The chicken, though tasty, was dry and lacked any sort of character. The actual chicken on the bone was gone after 3 or 4 bites, which came as a great shame. Chips were sound however.

Overall Rating: 6/10

Brookeys

Absolute beast

The chosen meal for Brookeys was 1 piece of chicken for £1 (cause I’m a poor bastard).

Aesthetic: The box was a generic unbranded chicken box. Still though; at least it’s something to look at.

Taste: The first thing you notice is that the chicken piece is practically bursting out of the box. If you care about your value for money, this is the one for you. I soon faced some problems however – being completely sober and using a knife and fork, I found it hard to actually get into the chicken. I can only imagine that when you’re absolutely Phil Mitchell’d, it’d be almost impenetrable. When I did get into the chicken however, it was tasty and quite delightful.

Overall Rating: 7/10

Roosters 

There’s no competition really

The chosen Roosters deal was 6 chicken wings for £1.50

Aesthetic: I don’t think you really tried at all with that crap.

Taste: Roosters dust their wings with Cajun spices sprinkled on top, giving the pieces a welcome kick. Apart from that, the chicken is solid. Tastes good and gets the job done. Just choose to ignore those rumours about the hygiene ratings, and you’ll be very much satisfied with your Roosters chicken.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Chicken is great after a long day studying

In conclusion, I’m sorry but, Roosters is still your best bet in Selly for getting good chicken before, during, or after a night out.

Roosters, I’m really sorry I ever doubted you in the first place. My love for you has dramatically increased and I will continue to devour your chicken on many a night out.