Selly locals in uproar about planned student housing

Local residents have expressed their anger at the plans for new student housing on Raddlebarn

Plans are out for 650 new homes to be built in Selly, but local residents are less than impressed.

The University Hospitals Trust has gained permission to develop the 17 hectare site of the old Selly Oak Hospital, located along Raddlebarn Road.

The land will mostly be turned into housing, though it is believed there would also be shops and restaurants built.

Soon this will all be housing

Demolition has already started and much of the site will be leveled, except for eight buildings which have been given heritage status.

The plans have been unveiled amidst a wave of local protest, after the permanent resident community branded Selly a “shanty town”early this year.

And the cause of Selly’s decay has been blamed on the large student population, with locals pointing the finger firmly at the main student areas as the source of the problem.

The old water tower (in the background) will be preserved

Speaking to The Tab, one local woman raised concerns for her child’s education, saying: “The school’s in the area are already struggling.

“If more young families with children come to the area along with all the students, the school is going to be facing severe overcrowding issues.”

But predominantly, the main concern for residents was the increase of students in the area.

In disrepair…

Taking to the internet to voice his complaints, local resident Andrew, said:

“I have lived in Selly Oak for 43 years and have always been proud of its local heritage.

“The last thing we need is more housing with the number of ever increasing students in the area.”

Others have taken offence to the redevelopment, including local Molly, who said: “Many members of my family passed away in this building. To me seeing a faceless housing estate on this site is the worst insult you could make to the memories I have.”

Several locals have even used Twitter to try and get a student exodus campaign in motion, with #studentsout forming the symbolic banner of their plight.

Not very busy now…

Even the local “polotik” is throwing its weight around, with Conservative councillor for Bourneville, Tim Huxable, arguing that local roads will not be able to adapt to the pressure put on them by the upsurge in vehicle use.

So far the council has received 137 letters of complaint about the new development- a number which is expected to grow with time.

Demolition has started.

However, it appears some students appear amused by the community-wide protesting, including second-year English student James:

“They really are a bunch of miserable gits.

“More students are living in Selly Oak, oh the horror- it’s exactly the kind of thing you expect from diddlies sitting at home, twiddling their thumbs, with nothing better to do.

“It’s actually quite entertaining hearing about all the protest, keep it coming.”

Goodbye Selly Oak Hospital