Fundraise to the finish line: UoB student driving to Mongolia for charity

Three students plan a crazy mission to drive to Mongolia, all in the name of charity

Three students, including Rhys Briggs, a third year UoB English Literature student, are raising money for Cool Earth and St David’s Hospice Care.

In order to raise the funds, the boys will be driving from the UK to Ulaan Baatar, the capital of Mongolia. Instead of taking an easy approach in a 4×4, they intend to make this journey in a ’93 Nissan Micra, (and come out of it alive!)

Speaking to The Tab, Briggs said: “for some strange reason, this summer, we have decided to partake in the annual charitable event called the Mongol Rally.

“We will be attempting to drive across 1/3 of the planet, cross the borders of up to 20 countries and travel through a total of 8 time zones covering over 10,000 miles all in all.

“This will be done in the most unsuitable car with no modern technological navigation or communication aids. We are doing it not only for an incredible chance to see some of the wonders that this world has to offer but for great charitable causes. Will we survive? Who knows..”

Sion Thomas and Robert Morgan are joining Briggs on his crazy mission. Together, the boys have named their team ‘The Smart Casuals’.

So far, the students have raised over £270, but their overall goal is £1000. Half of this will go to Cool Earth and the other half to their chosen charity.

The students’ choice, St David’s Hospice Care is committed to providing bespoke, individual care for all their patients and their families. They work alongside patients and hope to support them at the most difficult times in their lives.

To help them reach their target, sponsor the boys by clicking here.

You can also follow their progress on Twitter.