Defend Education students reinstated

University reinstates three students who were suspended following the Defend Education Demo

After the three-week suspension following the controversial Defend Education protests on January 29th, three of the five Birmingham University students are allowed to return to their studies.

Scenes from the National Demo: Resulted in multiple arrests and 5 suspensions

In a statement issued on Friday, the University stated that it had “reviewed the cases following changes in bail conditions for some of the students” and had decided to “lift the suspensions for some of the students, who remain on bail and under police investigation for possible offences”.

The three students in question: Pat Grady, Deborah Hermanns and Emily Farmer have been reinstated but still face disciplinary action.

Although the students voiced the happiness at being reinstated, concern remains over the remaining two students who may be suspended for the rest of the academic year.

Deborah Hermanns said: “I am delighted to be re-instated but I am extremely upset to have missed three weeks of my degree as a result of this suspension. This has been immensely stressful for me, particularly because the university refused to give me any opportunity to challenge its decision. We were accused of participating in a demonstration with over 400 other people, yet just five of us were suspended. The university is now singling out just two.”

When The Tab approached  Pat Grady he voiced similar concerns: “Being reinstated brought about mixed emotions for me. I was obviously massively relieved to be allowed back to university but am still  angry over the fact this happened in the first place. Over the course of the three week suspension I have been too stressed to do any of my academic work and have suffered from severe bouts of depression -something that is new for me – I’m normally a cheerful rascal. I’m also upset and frustrated that two students remain suspended.”

Their representative from ITN Solicitors, Simon Natas, said: “The suspension of a student who has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing is an extreme measure which could all too easily have this effect. Today’s developments are welcome but we encourage the University to lift all of the suspensions”.

The cases for the two students who remain suspended are still under investigation.