“Disgraceful”: Vice Chancellor slams protestors

Eastwood claims “university will not be undermined”

This morning, all University of Birmingham students were sent a statement by Vice Chancellor David Eastwood in response to yesterday’s protests.

The email reads as follows:

Dear Student

I am writing to you following the disgraceful events that took place on campus yesterday under the guise of student protest led by Defend Education Birmingham; a group which is not affiliated to the Guild of Students or in any way representative of our student body. We also believe that many involved were not students at our University, and clearly had no interest in our University as a place of study, scholarship, and collegiality.

Whilst peaceful protest is part of university life, the University cannot tolerate behaviour that causes harm to individuals, damage to property or significant disruption to our university community.  I am therefore saddened to report that the behaviour of this small group included defacing buildings and property, throwing smoke bombs and fireworks, smashing down doors, damaging buildings including Aston Webb and the Old Joe clock tower, rioting inside the Great Hall, and injuring staff.  Given the serious nature of their actions, the University had no choice but to ask the police for assistance in restoring order and protecting students, staff and university property. We understand that the police have made 14 arrests.

I regret any disruption that this has caused and would like to apologise to anyone who has been affected, whether directly or indirectly, by this unacceptable behaviour.  If you have any particular concerns as a result of yesterday’s events please contact the Student Services team https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/studentservices/index.aspx or the Guild’s Advice and Representation Centre (ARC) who will support you as they always do.

The University will resume its normal activities and will not be distracted or undermined by the unwarranted actions of an unrepresentative few. The University of Birmingham is a great university because of the quality, diversity, and commitment of our students; and the wonderful staff we are privileged to work with. Yesterday’s events do not diminish the University we are, or the wonderful academic community we are all privileged to be part of. Finally, I would like to thank all of the students who have contacted us with their support.

Best wishes

David Eastwood

Professor David Eastwood
Vice Chancellor and Principal
University of Birmingham
Birmingham