UoB students prepare to take on Great Birmingham Run

This Sunday sees the return of the epic Bupa half marathon across the city

On Sunday morning 18,000 runners will take to the streets of Brum to complete 13.1 miles of pavement pounding.

UoB students and staff will also be joining the ranks of runners to take on the biggest half marathon in the Midlands.

The gruelling 13.1 mile course

The course will take runners past the Bullring, the Cadbury’s factory in Bournville and Edgbaston Cricket ground before finishing (hopefully) on Broad Street, where thousands of supporters are expected to cheer them across the finish line.

Bupa Great Birmingham Run

UoB Rower and Biochemistry student Alex Manton will be running on Sunday and has raised over £240 for Diabetes UK.

However Alex will not be the only UoB student struggling to walk up and down stairs next week, as he will be accompanied by fellow Rower and Physics student Liam Griffin who has raised over £200 as well.

Liam and Alex ‘in training’

Also joining Alex and co from UoB are Robbie Tuffley, Aaron Thompson, Charlotte Nelson, Tommy Walters and Alex Cupit who are all running as part of the Birmingham Marrow group, which supports blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan. You can sponsor the Birmingham Marrow group here.

James Lee, senior lecturer at UoB Law School, will also be running on Sunday. Whilst raising money for the Alzheimer’s Society, James will also be attempting to beat his personal best of 1hr37.

Good luck to all the half-marathoners, particularly students repping UoB, and remember- Vaseline is a good idea whereas Fab on Saturday night might be a bad idea.

Are you running the race? Let us know to be featured in our follow up article after the event!