Queen’s announces plans to ditch Sociology

Not this again

Queen’s has just announced its plan to drop the single honours degree in Sociology, a decision which has caused a significant backlash from the student body. This comes after the campaign last year against the planned closure of both Sociology and Anthropology.

The student body voted against this decision by a majority of 89% and it seemed s though both were saved. QUB management delayed the decision until June and while it seems that Anthropology is safe, Sociology is not.

We asked a sociology third year (who asked to remain anonymous) what he thought of the recent decision.

“This is another disgrace from Queen’s. The delay, until June when students are off and can’t protest seems incredibly fishy and now the news being dropped just before freshers shows what we already knew; Queens is changing from a university that supports arts and the humanities into a business that supports STEM merely for financial gain.”

The students union has already began a campaign similar to the one they employed successfully last term.

Much is unknown about what will happen, but one thing is for certain. This is another controversial decision in the Vice Chancellorship of Patrick Johnston that will bring a bigger divide between the university and the students it represents.