QUB asks grads to endorse Mandela Hall demolition

They want Queen’s alum to help raise the funds

Queen’s University have asked grads to fund the redevelopment of the Student’s Union in bizarre email sent out ahead of the SU survey.

The survey, which closes tomorrow, offers students and Queen’s alumni to voice their opinion on the proposals for the SU. However, it looks as though plans are to go ahead regardless as this week – Queen’s have emailed graduates asking for their support.

In the email sent from the department of Development and Alumni Relations, Queen’s stated: “As a Queen’s graduate, I would like to ask for your input on an ambitious project – the development of a state-of-the-art student centre. This will fundamentally change the provision of services to students at the heart of the campus and create a vibrant student community that will prepare them for leadership roles in local, national and global society.

“To enable us to assess fundraising potential for the student centre, we are undertaking a comprehensive feasibility study. Your input will help us determine our ability to raise funds for a range of significant projects.”

A campaign to save the iconic music venue, which will be lost in the proposed redevelopment has since updated their change.org page, stating: “In an email sent out quietly to only QUB graduates last week, the university has announced it is seeking input with regard to it’s plans for the redevelopment of the Student’s Union building – which houses Mandela Hall, The Speakeasy, Bunatee and Bar Sub.

“In this email is a link to a document outlining their “Vision 20/20” plan, of which the total redevelopment of the Students’ Union into an entertainment-less “Integrated Student Centre” is a key part. While it goes into detail about how great the new “Integrated Student Centre” will be, it conveniently neglects to mention the fact it will tear down Mandela Hall and it’s sister venues in the process.”

You can support the campaign to save Mandela Hall here.