How to keep living like a student when you’re home

The summer holidays are just around the corner, but here is how to still live the student high life when you’re at home with the parents.

home summer uni

Summer is fast approaching, and everyone’s excited about the end of exams, and the three to four days of half decent weather that we may or may not experience.

However, as summer gets closer, the dread of moving out of our beloved student accommodation and venturing back to civilisation begins to grow.

Whilst we all love our home comforts, and having mum there to cook us proper dinners, it can be difficult to adjust to home life after a year of student living. Fortunately, we have compiled this handy guide so you can have the best of both worlds.

1. Don’t clean your room

In order to make home feel more like uni, always ensure that your bedroom is at least mildly disgusting. Do not give in to your mother’s heartfelt pleading, you are an adult and you can live like a rodent if you so desire.

1. Avoid dishes

Having successfully avoided doing dishes all year, doing them at home may result in acute fear brought on by an abnormally clean environment, and leave the student feeling confused and out of place.

1. Try not to become a complete recluse

After a hectic year, it’s always tempting to go home for summer and sleep for two months. However, having just moved out of a probably very crowded flat, you need to ensure that you have some level of social contact during the summer months, to avoid feelings of isolation and despair.

1. It is still acceptable to sleep all day

Do not let anyone tell you otherwise, sleep is a necessary bodily function and if you need a mid-afternoon nap, take one, wherever you might be.

Sleeping is always OK, location is irrelevant.

1. Remain in a state of poverty

You may be drawn to the idea of being a responsible adult and getting a summer job to support yourself, and save for the following year.

If you want to be a true student over summer, you will remain as lazy as you have been all year, and ensure that your bank balance is always well below zero.