We’re at the best uni in the country, and we absolutely love it

We don’t need league tables to tell us how amazing we are

aberystwyth beach best uni freshers gay friendly pier pressure seafront yoko's

Some are born in Aber, some choose Aber, and others have it thrust upon them (through the dreaded clearing).

Ignore the league tables.  Ignore the unfavourable Vice-Chancellor.  Aber doesn’t need any of this to prove itself.

We’re at the best university in the world and we’re proud to call this little Welsh bubble home.

Not forgetting we boast the greatest sunset of all time, along with over 50 pubs and cheap living costs. What more could you want?

Absolutely nothing

You spent the summer after college desperately trying to spell Aberystwyth (but now you just call it Aber), and since that magical moment the love just blossomed.

The Beach

There.  We’ve said it.  Aber has the beach.

And we don’t just have the one beach either.  There’s North Beach, South Beach, Tan y Bwlch and a short bus ride takes you to Borth and Ynylas – both glorious places.

Who needs Ibiza when you have Aber?

Campus is just a stones throw from the sandy beach, and only 15 minutes from the Prom. Where better to spend your time? It doesn’t even feel like procrastination, just bliss.

You might have even moved closer to the beach after first year – some literally have it on their doorstep.

The sunset is also the best sunset ever.  It is absolutely stunning.

Enough said

The beach means the surf club is the society to join

A mild summer’s evening will bring the BBQs out, with bonfires blazing and beers flowing: the perfect way to unwind during exam season.

Having the beach on your doorstep gives you the chance to try out sports you would have only ever dreamed of: surfing, kayaking, kite-boarding, sailing, diving, swimming, or even just flailing round in the shallows.  Aber is your oyster.

Bargain Night Out

It is not rare to hear these words: “You can have a cracking night out for just a tenner.”

Tactful predrinks on Lidl’s and Spar’s finest obviously lend a helping hand to a cheap night out.

Cheap beer makes happy students

Hit up the Union’s stock exchange to grab a bargain, followed by Rummer’s Vodka Tuesday steal, chased down with Lord Beeching’s 2-4-1 cocktails and rounded off with free entry to Yoko’s or Pier (most nights) and you’re on to a winner.

Once you’ve plied yourself with more booze than a drunken sailor, you can find some decent grub down most streets in town.

Standard

Friendly Crowd

In case you hadn’t noticed, Aber is a pretty small place – and we make up a third of the population.

Through friends of friends of friends, everyone is sure to know everyone.

There’s no escaping the awkwardness

And if you care about real statistics, Stonewall University Guide ranked us in the top 20 out of 158 universities for being gay-friendly, scoring an impressive nine out of 10.

And if that’s not enough, Cosmopolitan and Student Beans even placed Aber in their top 10 in the 2013 University Sex League (score).

The facts show it loud and clear: Aber is filled with friendly people – maybe a bit too friendly some nights.

Books Galore

Aberystwyth is home to the National Library of Wales, which houses over four million publications of rare books and original manuscripts.  How can you not love that?

An undergraduate’s dream

We won the bitter fight against Cardiff to get the library, which is a good enough reason on its own to absolutely adore it.

Coffee Shop Madness

If you’re a caffeine lover, tea snob or a fresh smoothie goer, Aber has you covered.

Round every side street is a quirky little café claiming to sell the best coffee in town, each one cute in their own right.

Coffee fuels the mind

If you prefer the raw taste of corporate beans there is a fierce competition between Starbucks and Costa, each within 100 meters of each other.

In fact, there seems to be a new coffee place opening up every week…

Cheap beer, one of the best libraries in the country and everyone is a friendly beach-goer.

Aber really does give us the perfect balance between strong academic study and a cracking social life.

You really can’t top this

Another sunset pic, just to show off

If you’re a lover of the great outdoors, a sea of friendly faces, cheap and amazingly fun nights out, then Aber is the only uni.  As long as you can handle Penglais Hill and the albatross sized seagulls nicking your chips…