Everything that has happened since Russell Brand allegations in Sunday Times and Dispatches

New investigations and cutting ties: All that’s happened since the Russell Brand allegations

Channel 4 has pulled all Russell Brand content from its streaming services

This weekend, a string of allegations were made against comedian Russell Brand. He has been accused of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse, by four women. The allegations, which he has vehemently denied, are from 2006 to 2013, in the height of his career as a comedian and TV presenter.

For a few days, a Dispatches special had been advertised, with little context of what it was going to cover. In the days prior, people speculated it was going to be something to do with the “Me Too” movement, and said online it was going to be “career ending” for those involved.

Later it was revealed the doc was focusing on a British comedian, and then Brand posted a video online to confirm the documentary was about him, and to deny all the claims made against him. He claimed relationships he’s had have been “always consensual” and referred to “corruption” in the news and “disturbing letters” from publications containing “attacks” against him.

The Dispatches doc aired at 9pm on Saturday, and shared harrowing stories of women who claim they met Brand during his career. The youngest, aged just 16, said she felt “groomed” by Brand, and other women detailed sexual assaults and rapes. In his statement, Russell called the allegations “very serious” and said he “absolutely refutes” them. Here is everything that has happened since then.

As the allegations became clear, Russell Brand performed a gig in London

On Saturday, just as allegations were about to air in the Dispatches documentary, Russell Brand arrived at Troubadour Wembley Park theatre in London to perform a gig. He went on at around 8pm, an hour after his scheduled start time, and an hour before the doc aired.

2,000 people were reported to be in the crowd, and one woman held a sign which read: “We stand by you, Russell. Stay strong, stay free. We love you xx.”

The event, part of Russell Brand’s Bipolarisation tour, was sold out and speaking to the crowds, Brand said there are “things he cannot talk about” and said “I love you” to audience members.

New investigations into Russell Brand have been launched at the BBC and Channel 4

Both the BBC and Channel 4 have launched new probes into claims of sexual assault and rape against Russell Brand, which he has denied. The BBC and a production firm for Channel 4 are looking into his alleged behaviour and whether bosses knew about it. A source said the reviews will aim to see “if a blind eye was turned to” any claims.

A source told The Mirror: “The reviews will look at what concerns were raised at the time, and crucially if they were acted on. There is more than a whiff of panic among certain quarters about what the probe could uncover, and if a blind eye was turned to aspects of Russell Brand’s behaviour.”

The BBC is “urgently looking into the issues raised” in the documentary and investigations published this weekend. Channel 4 has also pulled all of Brand’s content from its streaming service while it investigates.

Hours after the allegations, the talent agency which managed Russell Brand dropped him

Tavistock Wood, the talent agency which was in charge of Russell Brand, has dropped him following the allegations. In a statement, the agency said: “Russell Brand categorically and vehemently denied the allegation made in 2020, but we now believe we were horribly misled by him. TW has terminated all professional ties to Brand.”

A women’s charity has also cut ties with him

Women’s charity Trevi has announced it has cut all ties with Russell Brand, following the news of the allegations. In 2022 Trevi, which helps women affected by violence and abuse, announced it would be working with Brand and his Stay Free Foundation.

However, the charity has now said it has ended all associations with the comedian. In a statement, Trevi said it is “deeply saddened and upset” by allegations made against Brand, which he has denied.

“Russell became aware of our charity in 2022 after hearing about some of the incredible mothers we have helped to become drug-free over the years,” the charity said. “He wanted to support our cause and raise money through his Stay Free Foundation.”

The charity called the news this weekend “difficult to process” but said its main priority “remains and continues to be the safety and well-being of all women and girls now and in the future”.

The statement added: “We have ended our association with Russell Brand and the Stay Free Foundation. As a charity whose values put women’s voices at the heart of what we do, we always prioritise supporting women affected by violence and abuse and empower them to live without violence and fear.”

The country pub owned by Russell Brand has been ‘locked down’ with security fencing

The pub in 2021, via Geoffrey Swaine/Shutterstock

Since news of allegations against Russell Brand broke, the pub he owns has been placed into lockdown, with security fencing all around the outside. His pub, The Crown Inn in Pishill, Oxfordshire, is completely closed to the public and has a sign on the door which reads: “Pub temporarily closed”.

The pub, which is a Grade II listed building, is now surrounded by large metal fencing which is covered by beige hessian fabric. Brand is believed to have paid £850k for the pub, and a local resident said this weekend: “As we drove past this morning, they were putting up a hessian covering. It was like a sack covering across the front.

“It felt locked down. When we slowed down to look, the man putting it up stopped to look at us. I saw three security men in hi-vis behind. There were lots of people inside the building as well – about half a dozen.”

More women have come forward since the allegations were shown in Russell Brand: In Plain Sight

At the end of the Dispatches doc, and articles published across The Times and The Sunday Times, there have been ways for women to get in touch with their stories. Since then, The Times said it has been contacted by “several women” with claims about Brand, but said allegations have not yet been investigated and “will now be rigorously checked”.

The Met Police is in contact with The Sunday Times

The Met Police has confirmed it is in contact with The Sunday Times, who published the claims. A spokesperson for the police force said: “We are aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault. At this time, we have not received any reports in relation to this. If anyone believes they have been the victim of a sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, we would encourage them to contact police.

“We spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday, 16 September. We will be making further approaches to The Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that any victims of crime who they have spoken with are aware of how they may report any criminal allegations to police.”

Venues are considering cancelling future gigs with Russell Brand

ITV News journalist Paul Brand has said ITV understands that despite a gig going forward over the weekend, the Theatre Royal in Windsor is considering cancelling its date, scheduled for Tuesday evening.

A meeting with theatre managers is believed to currently be taking place, and ticket holders will be updated in due course. “Cancellation of this gig would put the rest of the tour in jeopardy, with two further dates planned this month,” Paul tweeted.

Update: The Theatre Royal has now confirmed Tuesday’s gig has been postponed, and Brand has reportedly cancelled three further gigs.

If you’ve been affected by this story or are the victim of sexual assault, you can access help and resources via www.rapecrisis.org.uk or by calling the national telephone helpline on 0808 802 9999.