Girl on Instagram who believes she is Madeleine McCann

‘My mother won’t talk about it’: We spoke to the girl who thinks she’s Madeleine McCann

She says she’s reached out to multiple police forces

Right now, a girl is going viral on Instagram and TikTok because she believes she is Kate and Gerry McCann’s missing daughter, Madeleine McCann. Madeleine went missing in Portugal in 2007, and now a woman has come forward providing “evidence” she is her.

The girl, named Julia, took to an Instagram live this week and said she is 21-years-old but isn’t sure of her real identity or age. She claimed she has similar spots on her body to Madeleine, who would be 19 now, and has a spot on her leg. Speaking to The Tab, Julia said she has tried to speak to the police and her family, but they won’t listen to her.

In the video on her Instagram, Julia showed marks on her body similar to Madeleine’s, and said she first thought she might have actually been missing girl Madeleine McCann a few months ago.

She went on to say she tried to get a copy of her birth certificate, but she could only get told information about herself over the phone. Her Instagram page, @iammadeleinemcan, now has nearly 100k followers, and she has shared loads more information about herself and what she believes.

Her Instagram bio reads: “Help me, I need to talk with Kate and Gerry McCann I think I can be Madeleine. I need DNA test. Police investigators from UK and Poland try to ignore me. I will tell my story in posts here. Help me.”

Speaking to The Tab, Julia said she has reached out to police multiple times but has been told they will not be investigating. “I called my local police, Capital city police, the MET police, Portugal police and Crimestoppers,” she said. “A few months ago I talked with Operation Grange, too.” Operation Grange was set up in 2011 to look at the case of Madeleine McCann.

She said following reaching out to the authorities, she was made to believe they would not be looking into her case, as it was a closed investigation.

Julia told The Tab she has spoken to her family about her beliefs too, but they didn’t want to talk to her about it. “[My] mother didn’t want to talk about it,” she said. “She said the past is in the past and she is not going to talk about the past. She said now is the future and we should focus on the future. My dad said, ‘even if I am not your father will it change anything?'”.

Speaking on her Instagram about backlash she has received, she said she genuinely isn’t trying to go viral, and is posting because she does believe she is Madeleine McCann.

In a post, Julia said: “Thank you for support that you give me and for haters I have to say that I am not kidding and I truly believe that I can be her. I didn’t take money from anyone and I am not going to do this because police should do DNA test to me and compare it with Kate and Gerry McCann DNA.”