Zac Efron’s Ted Bundy film is coming to Netflix!!!

Netflix bid for the film, and won

Right now, Netflix is on the top of its game. And just when you thought it couldn’t get much better, it’s been announced that ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile’ – the film about Ted Bundy, where Zac Efron plays the killer, is dropping on the site.

Series like Sex Education, You, Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, and the Fyre Festival documentary amongst countless others, have left us spoilt for choice recently. And this film will just add to the list of Netflix new releases to binge watch.

Image may contain: Zac Efron Ted Bundy film, Zac Efron, Ted Bundy, Netflix, True Crime, Apparel, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Suit, Man, Face, Human, Person

Zac Efron as Ted Bundy in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

Netflix bought the rights to the film for $9million, after a bidding war with STX and Lionsgate. The film has divided viewers, with some saying it “glorifies” serial killers and makes them appear “hot” (obviously because Zac Efron is v fit), whilst others say this is casting based on the facts – what made the Ted Bundy case so fascinating was that he was a good looking, successful man who didn’t match the usual creepy serial killer stereotype. Others argued Ted Bundy is not hot, he’s a killer. Period.

Netflix responded, making the very good point that there are plenty of other hot people in the world, that didn’t kill women!!! Revolutionary!!!

Either way, the film has been all over the news, and has got a lot of people talking – and now it’s coming to Netflix!!! There’s no denying viewers are obsessed with true crime, and are fascinated by murder documentaries and killers – so this is a pretty huge deal.

Here’s what we know about the Zac Efron Ted Bundy film, and when it’s coming to Netflix.

What is the film about?

The film is based on the crimes of real life serial killer Ted Bundy. Bundy was an American serial killer, kidnapper, rapist, burglar, and necrophile who assaulted and murdered young women and girls during the 1970s. After years of denying his crimes, he admitted to 30 murders, but the true number of victims remains unknown. He was sentenced to death by electrocution and died in 1989.

The film is from the perspective of his longtime girlfriend, Elizabeth Kloepfer – played by Lily Collins.

When is the release date of the film on Netflix?

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26th 2019, and it was a hit. The director of the film is the same as the director of The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix – but that doesn’t mean the film will drop straight away. Netflix is waiting for the fall theatrical release of the Ted Bundy film before allowing it to be streamed on their site – as this will give Zac Efron a better chance in next year’s awards season.

This means the wait for the film could be a long one, unfortunately.

If you can’t wait that long, here’s the trailer for the film: