Your say on the boycott which affects not just students’ banking but their social lives (not to mention the all important loss of the only ATM on campus to do fivers)

The Union is facing a backlash after they upheld a boycott of NatWest Bank which means Six Nations rugby will not be shown in the Union Pub.

Banned..Natwest

News emerged last week that Union Council had voted to continue the lapsed boycott, which was originally decided in 2010.

As well as switching the Union’s finances to the Co-operative bank, all NatWest non-banking services will now no longer be endorsed by the Union.

This includes the Six Nations Rugby, sponsored by NatWest, which will no longer be shown in the Union Pub.

In addition, clubs and societies have been asked to no longer apply for grants through the RBS scheme.

Several students have questioned the practicality of the boycott, which is motivated by Natwest’s fossil fuel extraction funding.

Second year Economics student Imogen Turner said: ‘No bank is above reproach – if you banned every organisation which has been accused of unethical practices, we’d be left with nothing’.

George Harris tweeted: “Presumably bar staff will be under strict orders to turn off the telly if a Natwest advert comes on…the whole thing is absurd.”

Second year English Literature and Creative Writing student Cadi Cliff supports the boycott however, tweeting: “I love rugby, but the Union needs to stick to its environmental policies.”

Questions have been raised as to whether the Union, which as of February last year was running a deficit of nearly £200,000 is cutting off its own nose to spite its face in banning an event at the bar that raises plenty of revenue for Union services.

The Tab spoke to Community and Student Rights Officer, Sam Clark, about the issues surrounding the boycott. He told us “The Union needs to stick by its principles. There will be a drop in bar revenue over the Six Nations period but we need to put our money where our mouth is.”

He was also quick to dispel claims that societies and clubs will suffer greatly from the loss of RBS funding stating “No societies rely on RBS bursaries, and the Union does run grants including the Cultural Fund and the Working Together Fund worth hundreds of pounds each.”

Union officer Sam Clark defended the ban

When asked about the democratic process that led to the upholding the boycott, he reminded The Tab that “Every student decision is made at Union Council – and students are welcome to come to Union Council and challenge the boycott.

“Any company can be complained about – it just so happens that it was NatWest which was brought to the attention of the Council. This is a union policy and any student can lobby to change it.”

Although every set of Union Council minutes are available to view online, many students were only made aware of the boycott very recently through social media.

History student Abbie Tempest said: “As students we know little about this ban and it could also be detrimental to those wishing to apply to RBS or Natwest banking in the future.”

Sam Clark told us: “A Union blog post was published, and a bulletin was sent by E-rabbit, an email system from the Union students can sign up for.”

Finally, he reiterated that the rumours surrounding the UEA NatWest branch closures are mostly untrue. “The Union has nothing to do with the closure – it’s a building owned by the University, not us. We have no idea as of yet what will be taking its place.”

Whilst the boycott divides opinion, one thing has been made clear. Change can happen at UEA if enough students care about it. Judging by the response, it wouldn’t be at all surprising if there are a few new faces at the next Union Council meeting.

What do you think of the Union’s NatWest boycott? Let The Tab know in the comments section below!

@victoriafinan

• Anon

Great story, well covered

• 1styear

It's a joke! Rugby has seemingly been ompletely eliminated by UEA! And what will come of the boycott, most likely nothing except animosity towards the union!

• Anonymous

Where is our representation? Surely such a monumental decision should have at least been run by the student body – the majority of which I'm sure would oppose! I feel like the union is standing by principles of morality and personal goals than truly being a pragmatic, student-friendly body!

• Anon

It was voted on in Union Council, a body of student representatives. It was passed by those students, who come from all different areas of the University.

• I.P Freely

This is the same union who campaigns so viciously for freedom of speech and yet threatens to sue the tab at the mere inkling that it may have been given bad press

• Against the boycott

Seriously?! Fill me in about this cos this is the first I've heard of it!

• Anon

"News emerged last week that Union Council had voted to continue the lapsed boycott, which was originally decided in 2010."

This policy, "Ethical Banking", was in amongst several pages of policies which were voted on to be kept or ditched by Council, without discussion as to their content or wider implications. Councillors had no idea what they were being asked to agree to.

• Stuart Lancaster

This is absurd – can see the reasons behind it, but can't believe that any bank is squeaky clean and has never invested in an environmentally unfriendly company before or had some link to something which is bad for the planet.

This further lack of revenue will have a knock on effect on the Union as a whole, and think that the students should unite and boycott the LCR one night and instead all go out on a 6 Nations themed night out in town to make a statement so that the Union loses further money until it realises its mistake. Just an idea though…

• Stuart Lancaster

• Against the boycott

I agree with Imogen. "If you banned every organisation which has been accused of unethical practices, we’d be left with nothing.'"

But, if you had to choose a bank on campus to boycott, wouldn't you choose Barclays?! They were at the centre of the LIBOR-rigging scandal, they have avoided billions of pounds in tax over the years, they supported Robert Mugabe's govt in Zimbabwe in 2009, and the apartheid govt of South Africain the 1980s, and they've had to settle money-laundering lawsuits rightfully filed against them. Barclays are scum and yet it is Natwest who have been banned! It's madness.

Banks are unethical institutions on the whole. You can't go banning/boycotting each one which does something wrong because there'd be no banks left on campus and they're (unfortunately) a necessary evil.

• Against the boycott

• Chris

As a UEA Alumnus and former member of the UEA RUFC in the 80s/90s I am well accustomed to these types of campaigns. The point the UEA SU never got – never – was that the majority of students did not care about its policies and it was a clique and a joke. Sounds like it hasn’t come far in the intervening period….

• Kohl Undgaz

What’s wrong with fossil fuel extraction anyway? Most of us use cars, buses, trains, airplanes etc. to get around. They don’t all run on organic bioethanol and solar power!

• Gordon Mulholland

I’m not a UEA student but this is a PR own goal. Why not use the 6 Nations matches to highlight RBS/Natwest activity and therefore educate with a positive message to an audience which will now go elsewhere to watch the rugby and harbour a grudge to the political “elitists” who imposed this undemocratic ban. I suspect this lazier option was the first knee jerk of the politically hard-of-thinking.

• anon

If only you could have resisted the temptation to be spitroasted by those marines, you wouldn’t have found yourself in this situation

• chud

someone name and shame his ex?

• Vern Cotter

Clow is a big part of my future plans. I urge you to #VoteStocky

• LAX H8R

Surprised to only see one LAX gal on here, especially considering they are RASHER, BIGGER and BETTER AT SKITING than the rest of us

• James Byers

I once saw Graeme Clow wearing AURFC trackies and a hoodie, so the next day i went out and bought AURFC trackies and a hoodie

• Social as fuck

There are some questionable BNOCs here!!
    Who the fuck is Clive Basingstoke, Jamie “Clunge Monkey” Norman, Genna Clarke?

• Seriously Brah

You really need to actually read the article and pay more attention to AUSA elections

• Social as fuck

Since when did AUSA ever make anyone a BNOC

• Seriously Brah

Never, but you asked who they were not if they were well known, just thought I’d help you out as you seemed to be struggling

• Social as fuck

Yeah I should probably phrase my questions better.

• Seriously Brah

That’s cool dude

• Social as fuck

Just read some of Clive’s articles, they are epic I can se why he was nominated now, and Jamie ‘Clunge Monkey’Norman seems to be doing well in the polls, so really it’s just Genna Clarke who just shouldn’t be there

• Social as fuck

Quit posting as me

• Social as fuck

What are you talking about, I’m the real ‘Social as fuck’

• Social as fuck

You’re a dick, just stop it! Although I did read one of Clive’s articles and you’re right they are hilarious

• Chaplington

Clive doesn’t exist, it says so in the article man

• Social as fuck

Just read the article, you’re right

• Simpson Squad

If this was a true poll for BNOC, where the fuck is THE ORIGINAL BNOC Laura Simpson!

• Jim Gee

Graeme Clow punched me in the face once… It was awesome

• GClow’s Mum

Vote for my son Graeme Christie Clow: ‘picking tatties and banging lassies’ since 91

• Social as fuck

I’m changing my vote to Clive!

• Chairman Clow

Same here

• Trotters

What about Neil ‘Pig Face’ Hogg.
    The original BNOC

• Andrew Norwood

All “NNOCSs”

• Shannen Murray

I’m the giril in the photo with blare hahaha

• Shannen Murray

well, one of them! also so major lolapalooza as the guy naked in tonic in the sinck

• Shannen Murray

PP.S. tour was mental! had ace fun and i think i have that guys eyebrow hahahahahahahhaahahhahahha 😛

• Aidan Paterson

Whym i nae there? cap’n of the footie and a general good lad!!! INNNNYYYYYYYY

• James Yule-log

hahahahaha dis is so funny. cannot get over the guy naked in the bk toilets

• James Yule-b-sorry

hahaha wiz at the chamber o secrets thats lads in ?

• Whothefuckarehalfthesemugs

This is embarrassing…

• Non?

Where the fuck is Seabiscuit? The original top lad in AU.

p.s. Et Met is the only one anyone’s ever heard of.

• Thisisjournalism?

Probably the worst article ever written. Don’t know who most of these people are anyway.

• Guest

Liseli is a self-centred fanny, she probably nominated herself and votes for herself over and over again

• Annoy

Just to tell you know, I know people on the set and when filming starts if you’re not a crew/cast memebership you can literally be sent to jail.

• Ched Evans

I score when I want.

• http://fauxwhore.com magdelyn c. prossii

How convenient that the alleged perpetrator’s name is left out, and the gender of the alleged victim isn’t cited. What about all of this, “We want other victims to come forward,” balogna? I assume this incident doesn’t fit the narrative presently promulgated by gender warriors promoting the notion of “rape culture.”

• Fiona Milne

Not just your Attenboroughs, you’ve been misinformed on most of your details, I’m afraid.

• Tony Montanna

If it really is back, any1 got any numbers?

• Stevie

Ket – 07742595858

• Cords

I can believe ketamine would have its place in medical treatment for depression. Why not? Much like any drug, its definitely not for everyone. Of course, how are you gona know until you try right? I know a lot of people who hate it – forget who and where they are, end up in a complete fuckery of a state and throw up all over emselves lying in a gutter. One time I saw a 14 year old kid abuse it and shit himself in a squat. Not pretty. But that’s much widely true of alcohol. What happened to good old fashioned alcohol? Nothing as far as I can tell, shitloads of people in nearly every generation are getting fucked off it all the time everywhere. And the health consequences are so obvious. Of course, ket is renownedly a complete fuckery on the kidneys, but much as it is with anything, if you cane it its gona fuck you, and not in the fun way.
    Alternatively, as much as it may be vaguely linked to depression in its long term (not surprising, when the effects of long term drug abuse of any kind is often associated with feelings of lost control and anxiety, and it would be hard to study the long term effects on anyone but those who have been caning it for years), ket can have major mental health benefits. This is entirely dependent on the individual I’m sure, and that would not be true of a good percentage of people, but that shouldn’t mean it doesn’t work for a good percentage of people too. I myself have had these experiences, not of euphoria or love necessarily, which can at times feel fake when induced by amphetamines and the like. But when something has been bothering my sober self over several weeks to a point where I’m put in a funk, and it affects my behaviour and makes me feel depressed, weirdly a cheeky ket sesh once in a while often sorts it right out. Suddenly the thing thats been fucking with my head shifts into perspective, into something often menial and ridiculous and easily sorted with the right steps and taking action, rather than stewing in it and feeling like ass about it. And most of the time, even after the ket’s worn off, that effect lasts, and I’m no longer bothered by it. Surely that says something. Some people thrive off amphetamines, some alcohol, some swear by regularly smoking weed, others are at their psychological best with regular trips on hallucinogens, some with good old sobriety (which realistically, we should all be aiming for) . But you can’t discount those who simply work well with dissociative drugs, especially when considering the fuckery of side effects that prescriptive legal drug treatments already in place often have on mentally ill patients.

Sorry for the essay, but its useful to get other perspectives on these things eh

• Cords

oh, and to Tony Montanna, GWAAAAN SIR. i feel you 😉

• Guest

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but having never experimented with ketamine yourself you are actually less qualified to comment about it than a horse is.

The study suggesting that ketamine could have value as an anti-depressant is robust, fortunately people’s personal opinions don’t stand up to peer-reviewed evidence.

All psychedelic drugs and many dissociatives like ketamine have medicinal value if used correctly.

• Owen Mark McCormack

You need to get out a bit!

• Luke

only been to the K Club a hand full of times, but properly used it’s awesome

• James

What a thoroughly pointless and self righteous article. The basic gist is why do people take this drug I don’t understand. Rubbish.

• Ridiculous

Stupid article

• Frank

First, there is no need for the quotes. He raped some is a statement of fact..
    Second, his girlfriends father is a millionaire – I doubt he’ll starve.
    Third, even if his girlfriends father was not a millionaire there is always the option of joining all the other rapists who are convinced they have done no wrong in the dole que.

If he wants a second chance, he needs to start earning it.

• sniffy clyro

ketty laura’s off on one again

• Jack Hernandez

alcohol doesn;t damage your brain permanantly, it only damages the endings of the nerve cells but they grow back so it’s all cool.

• jamesbeasley

Quick tip when trying to argue someone’s post don’t cite Wikipedia as a reliable source. I agree with what you said but come on Wikipedia as a source? Really?

• Jack Hernandez

the best response ever!

• Kadri

Got a source for that mate lol. Sounds like bullshit to me.

• Kadri

Also those scientists are saying that ketamine may be a useful treatment for depression in the form of prescribed microdoses so small that there probably wouldn’t be a that much of a describable ‘high’.They aren’t suggesting you binge it every weekend.Many of over the counter drugs would ruin your life if you did that. Maybe you should start reading past the headlines and do thorough research before you start spouting.

• Hug

shut up

• geko

When writing an essay for your course, don’t cite Wikipedia, when arguing with someone on the internet just including a citation is more than most do. Wikipedia is fine.