New study shows people who struggle to get out of bed in the morning are more intelligent

The study links late mornings to creativity, intelligence, and an independent spirit

Hide Images

A study conducted by Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary scientist at the London School of Economics and Political Science, and Kaja Perina have found a connection between intelligence and adaptive behaviours that are “evolutionary novel”. They deviate from what our ancestors did, meaning “more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be nocturnal adults who go to bed late and wake up late on both weekdays and weekends”.

Apparently, we’re still bets suited to sleeping how our ancestors did, i.e. going to bed early and getting up early, but night owls that would rather snooze the alarm twenty times than actually get up at 6am are more suited to modern day life – a sign of outstanding intelligence. Basically, only smart people can deal with the snooze button because it’s a recent invention that evolution has done nothing to help prepare us for.

The study also links late mornings to creativity, intelligence, and an independent spirit: listening to your own body clock, rather than the “rules” of sleeping, shows intuition and an ability to pursue your own passions and interests. “Night owls” also had more income and a more general lifestyle in general. Buzzing.

Unfortunately, this does not mean we can spend all out time in bed, as previous studies found that people who spend 12 or more hours in bed have a significantly higher risk of untimely death. So sleep in late, but maybe not past 12.