Leeds is apparently more expensive than London for students

You can’t put a price on edginess

expensive leeds money natwest ranking

Leeds has been named the third most expensive city for students by the Natwest Student Living Index.

The only cities more expensive were Oxford and Cambridge, with London reportedly cheaper than all three.

The index is calculated using average weekly living and accommodation costs, divided by average weekly student income.

The average weekly rent in Leeds is £88.87, compared to a horrific £112.07 in Oxford and a mere £46.22 in cheapest city Belfast..

Other costs contributing to Leeds’ high ranking include gym memberships, for which we pay the most in the UK, and alcohol, for which we came third.

Newcastle came first in the alcohol spending category, boasting an extraordinary £15.53 a week.

Third year Broadcast Journalism student Emily Wilson contested the index, saying “I still believe London is a more expensive city to live in if you don’t drink a lot.

“It is not really taking into account anything other that expenditure on nights out, rather than rent and travel.

“Is it any wonder Newcastle and Leeds end up spending the most? It just shows that we have the most fun!”