Yik Yak users falsify drug-related death of QUB male on Carmel street

The responses are spiralling out of control

Dozens of people took to anonymous social media app Yik Yak this afternoon, to discuss the apparent death of an unknown young male student in the Holylands area.

It was claimed that the unnamed QUB student had taken an overdose of drugs and subsequently died, with £3,000 worth of drugs being seized from his house on Carmel Street, and the street then being cordoned off.

Arguments and debates were had over respect for the young lad’s life, whereas a few others stated he deserved it if he were taking drugs in the first place.

The situation has definitely sparked a lot of genuine interest within social circles, but when contacted about the incident, a spokesperson for the PSNI stated: “Regarding your query in relation to a a sudden death on Carmel street, we do not have any reports” – not exactly juicy.

However, despite the controversy, it all seems to be a big fat lie. For what reason someone would make this up, it’s unknown, but nevertheless, the rumour has spread, and others have taken their opportunity to make a total farce of it.

Seeing as a lot of the comments discuss the group mentality of insensitivity in regards to the made up death, it seems pretty insensitive that anyone would make up such a predicament in the first place, especially with one user claiming the supposed dead to be autistic. But anonymity will do that to the stereotypical keyboard warrior with little time on his/her hands.

To be fair, the photoshopped picture of a police helicopter on Queens front lawn was rather funny.
Every cloud…

This was the “scene” at Carmel street at 4pm, when the street was said to be “cordoned off”:

Many students are left outraged by the mockery and falsification of the death of a fellow student.