Here are the top FIVE places you didn’t know were an amazing night out in York

We all love a random trip to Kuda or a drunk night at Salvos, but have you tried these hidden gems?

We all love a night out. Why else would we be at uni? It’s not about the degree but the nights out you have along the way, right? Often though, visiting the same clubs over and over can become slightly stale. Be it the blue lights and indie vibes of Stone Roses or the dizzying dance floor at Popworld, we could all do with a change from time to time. Need some recommendations? I got you!

5. The Bootham Tavern

Located just off Gillygate at Bootham Bar, The Bootham Tavern could easily be described as a hidden treasure. They often have their Saturday karaoke with DJ Nev and, when that’s not on, they have live music! The inside of the pub has some great rustic vibes with a big circular bar in the middle so you never have to go too far for a top up.

When it comes to prices, I’m going to judge them based on how much their vodka and cokes cost because that’s my drink of choice. I would say Bootham is on the more expensive side, with a voddy costing around seven pound. However, the atmosphere and events really do make up for it. I’d thoroughly recommend a trip to the tavern!

4. Charles XII

This pub is very well suited to Uni of York students, being just down the road from campus. My favourite thing about this pub is definitely the beer garden. It’s massive! They’ve had events out there including live singers, face painting, and even animal shows (I once got to hold a snake there)! As well as these events, they’ve also just started up a regular Sunday night karaoke, meaning there’s even more to do there.

Charles XII is also a pub that uses the Mixr app. This is an app that allows students to get a discount and save up points to spend on free drinks. They also have deals such as 2-4-1 cocktails and deals on shots. Seriously, what’s not to love?

3. Evil Eye

I think it must be law for every person in York to mention that Evil Eye is Johnny Depp’s favourite bar. But this beautiful place isn’t just a fancy cocktail bar. It has three floors of beautiful decor and even has beds upstairs for the ultimate comfort whilst you enjoy your cocktails. Evil Eye also hosts a bunch of great activities such as karaoke, a weekly quiz and pottery making!

Outside also has a seating area with heat lamps, meaning the wonderful English winter weather won’t stop you from enjoying your cocktails outdoors. Of course, they have drinks deals such as two cocktails for £16, as well as some fun drinking games that you can play. Shots Snakes and Ladders anyone?

2. The Old Bank

This pub has a total TARDIS vibe. Although it looks pretty big from the outside, the inside is a total shock to pub goers! The Old Bank has two floors with a bar on each, meaning a drink is never far away. They also have a beautiful beer garden with heat lamps and covers so that even in the unpredictable York weather you (and more importantly your drinks) can stay dry. Downstairs there are pool tables and even private areas for hire.

They also have weekly events such as quizzes, karaoke, and society nights. They host themed quizzes, with Taylor Swift, The Simpsons, and Eurovision being some past topics. The Old Bank is another Mixr pub, with student deals on both food and drink, meaning that it isn’t just a fun night out, but a cheap one too!

1. Keystones

My personal favourite pub in York, Keystones is perfect for York St John students as it’s just down the road from uni. However, don’t panic Uni of York readers, it is also just a 10 minute walk from York centre! A real highlight of this pub is the staff. They consistently make an effort to get to know their customers and are incredibly friendly. Many of the staff there are students too, meaning that they know what students love! This may be a reason for their incredible cocktail deals, with a £14 cocktail being just three pound fifty on a Thursday.

They’re also a Mixr pub, with great deals on food and drink. Not convinced yet? I would definitely look them up on TikTok for some of Eleisha’s viral creations. My favourite thing about this pub, however, is their weekly quiz in which you can win a £50 bar tab and plenty of drinks and shots. Maybe, just maybe, you could even be lucky enough to win a Keystones tote bag!

Have I convinced you? Are any of these pubs your new go to? Or is a messy night at Kuda still the closest to your heart? Try some of these awesome places and let us know!