Here are all the brand new food spots that opened in York this summer

A responsible way to spend that first student finance instalment…

#bakeries #YorkCafe #YorkFood #YorkFoodSpots york

For those who were away from York for the summer at home, or on holiday, you may have come across a few tempting reels and posts about new food spots that have opened their doors whilst we’ve been away.

Whether you’re becoming a little too familiar with some of York’s most loved food spots and want a new atmosphere, or are simply looking for a new drink to spike your blood sugar levels to, we have some suggestions.

The Marrakesh

Starting off strong with one of the newest restaurants to open in York, a place which may have caught your attention whilst strolling down Low Ousegate with its standout font and bright colours – The Marrakesh.

via Rachel Rogers at the York Mix

According to an article by the York Mix, The Marrakesh took a year to transform from what it had been previously and is now easily identifiable from some of the other restaurants in York city centre.

With much of the interior coming from and being inspired by Morocco, the furniture and carefully curated menu give this restaurant the feeling of an authentic experience.

The menu itself includes a number of classic dishes as well as a selection of desserts and Moroccan inspired cocktails to indulge in.

The Divine Project

If you’re one for a minimalist vibe and something light to grab on your walk through the city centre, The Divine Project may be your new go-to place.

Placed on Market Street, the new café is a collaboration between the owners of North South bar in Bootham and Divine Coffee Roasters in Micklegate.

Aside from the cafe’s selection of hot and cold drinks, there are also freshly prepared pastries, sandwiches and cakes available to buy too.

The simple minimalist vibes really are perfect for a study sesh, or just sitting and staring into space contemplating the whole semester ahead.

Bar Hashery

Sometimes we need something a little more filling than a solitary pastry, and something with a little more colour…

Bar Hashery at Bootham has something for everyone with the menu extending from classic porridge, to all day breakfast options, to French Toast, Halloumi and Rocket Salad, to a literal Eggstravaganza. Nice.

About | Bar Hashery York

via Bar Hashery Instagram

Additionally, Bar Hashery offer a separate menu containing their classic cocktail mixes such as Spicy Mango Margarita, Frozen Berry Margarita, and French Martini, with a selection of wines and beers also on offer.

The Savvy Baker

Despite being one of York’s newer bakeries, The Savvy Baker has quickly established itself as a must-see spot to visit for brownies in York.

Aside from its easily-recognisable design, the brownies are known for their gooey-ness and flavours that are hard to resist. You really can’t say no.

@thesavvybaker_

YORK IS COMING SOON!! It’s taken a little longer than planned with a few minor set backs, but it’s happening and it’s happening soon!! Some final touches this week and hopefully we will be given the green light next week!! I for one.. cannot bloody wait 😍😍 #york #yorkbakery #yorkcafe #yorkcoffee #yorkbrownies

♬ original sound – leozmre

And if not for the brownies alone, let the drinks be reason enough for you to visit.

Some off their menu include: Iced Kinder, Raspberry Iced Matcha, Honeycomb Hot Chocolate, and Hot Nutella. Some of the fancier drinks even come with their own carrier like a little handbag – too cute.

Sweet Dreams York

Being shortlisted for the 2024 York Mix’s Choice Awards, this bakery is a family run business that offers a range of cookie dough, cheesecakes, brownies, and cakes. Plus, they are now offering a selection of pumpkin spice items just in time for Autumn.

Whether you’re a committed autumn-lover or not, take this as an opportunity to try something new whilst being festive with their pumpkin spice crookies, waffles, milkshakes or cookie dough.

Funnily enough, this new bakery is right next to Salvos! However, they do close at 9pm so there’s no late night brownie on the cards for when you stumble out the club.

Lè Specialty

If you’re looking for an Asian-inspired bakery menu to satisfy your cravings, you might just have to force a friend out to Lè Specialty.

Originally coming from Malaysia, Lè Specialty’s owner and his wife wanted to bring their passion for specialty coffee to York.

Not only do they insist on serving speciality coffee to their customers, but their food items further make this spot a worthy visit.

Examples of the unique items on the menu being Orange and Lemon Meringue Croffle; Sparkling Yuzu Matcha; and Sweet Avocado Milkshake.

So, take this as your sign to beat the inevitable blues of the colder weather with some good food whilst supporting York’s local businesses.