Image may contain: Home Decor, Path, Walkway, Indoors, Bakery, Shop, Door, Human, Person

A completely plastic free shop has come to York

This new, eco-friendly shop encourages us to shop greener

The Bishy Weigh, located on Bishopthorpe Road , is York's new eco-pantry that encourages shoppers to shop greener by bringing along their own containers to stock up on kitchen cupboard essentials like pasta, rice, dried fruit and nuts.

The Bishy Weigh's concept is simple. You weigh your items and then pay for them. This simple yet effective method allows shoppers to reduce unnecessary plastic packaging that is found in major supermarkets, whilst also giving customers the opportunity to select how much of an item they require.

Image may contain: Electrical Device

Weigh and Pay how simple!

The shop's stock list is an extensive range of dried foods like pasta, rice, flour, dried fruit and nuts to nut milks, oils and syrups. It also stocks a range of gluten free options.

If you forget to bring along one of your containers, the shop supplies plastic-free produce bags, or alternatively jars and tins are available for purchase.

Alongside the food essentials the shop also stocks recyclable and eco-friendly household essentials like reusable make-up wipes, metal straws, bamboo toothbrushes and many other necessities all at student-friendly prices.

It's open Monday-Saturday 9am-5:30pm and Sundays 10am-4pm, and is the way forward for making small changes that have a bigger impact on our environment.