Fire in Physics building was caused by a lithium car battery pack catching ablaze

The EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution

Earlier this Monday, a reported fire led to students being evacuated from the Physics Building.

Emergency services, including a hazmat team, were present on campus during the incident.

It has now been revealed in an official statement released by the University of Warwick that the fire was caused by a lithium car battery pack catching ablaze.

The fire occurred in an EIC (Energy Innovation Centre) secure battery testing chamber.

The EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution. The university advises that should anyone feel unwell, they should contact the NHS via 111.

An investigation is currently underway to examine the causes of the incident.

In their official statement, the University of Warwick said: “An incident in our EIC secure battery testing chamber resulted in a lithium ion car battery pack catching fire.”

As per protocol we contacted the fire brigade. The fire was contained to the test chamber and is now out. The hazmat team has also attended and since left.”

Staff and students in nearby buildings were evacuated at the time. The safety of our staff and students is of paramount importance, and as such, the EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution. Should anyone feel unwell, we would advise them to contact NHS 111.”

We will continue to liaise with the Fire Brigade and are taking their advice on safety measures for our community, including putting a cordon in place.”

We will be undertaking an investigation to assess the causes of the incident.”

The Warwick Tab has contacted the University of Warwick for further comment.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

• Fire at the University of Warwick’s Physics building leads to student evacuations

• Warwick student with cancer wins £12,000 payout after university denied extension request

• Man stabbed near Leamington bandstands in the Pump Room Gardens