Fire at the University of Warwick’s Physics building leads to student evacuations

Both fire engines and ambulances were present on campus

Emergency services were present on campus and students were evacuated from the Physics Building after a fire.

The cause of the incident was a lithium ion car battery that caught fire in the EIC (Energy Innovation Centre) battery testing chamber.

Classes and lectures were disrupted by the evacuation that followed, with a hazmat team was also quick to attend the scene.

According to witnesses, ambulances were seen treating students outside of the building but whether any injuries were actually sustained or if this was just a precautionary message is currently unknown.

One student told The Warwick Tab: “My lesson continued despite smelling like burning bleach because the alarms weren’t working”.

Another student claimed: “We had to leave labs for half an hour and come back tomorrow”.

An official statement released by the university said: “Staff and students in nearby buildings were evacuated at the time. The safety of our staff and students is of paramount importance, and as such, the EIC and Physical Science buildings will be closed tomorrow as a precaution. Should anyone feel unwell, we would advise them to contact NHS 111.”

“We will continue to liaise with the Fire Brigade and are taking their advice on safety measures for our community, including putting a cordon in place.”

“We will be undertaking an investigation to assess the causes of the incident.”

• Man stabbed near Leamington bandstands in the Pump Room Gardens

• Strikes have been paused for two weeks at the University of Warwick

Warwick student with cancer wins £12,000 payout after university denied extension request