Warwick celebrates the success of Paralympian student Kare Adenegan

Adenegan won two silver medals in the most recent Tokyo Paralympics

The University of Warwick held an official celebration to mark the success of Paralympian student Kare Adenegan.

Adenegan is a third-year history student at Warwick and returned with two silver medals in the T34 wheelchair 100m and 800m events from the delayed Tokyo 2020 Paralympics, held in 2021.

Her celebratory homecoming ceremony was held in the Sports and Wellness Hub on 17th March 2022, after being postponed due to Covid.

Over 30 guests were in attendance, including students from Bablake and King Henry VIII School, where she was a student. She was congratulated by Lord Mayor of Coventry, Cllr John McNicholas, and the Provost of the University of Warwick, Professor Christine Ennew OBE, who awarded her with a recognition of success award.

Speaking at the event, Kare said: “I really appreciate that the University of Warwick wanted to have this celebratory event for me and present me with a special award.

“I am proud to be a role model. I do want to inspire people and feel honoured that I can do that, especially here in Coventry. It’s important for people to see others achieving so that they think ‘I can do that too’.”

Talking about her future plans, she said: “I was really proud of my achievements at Tokyo 2020. As an athlete, you prepare, you race and then you focus on the next goal. For me, the focus now is the Commonwealth Games. I was involved in the bid several years ago and now it’s actually time to focus as an athlete. My priority now is to be there, racing.”

Kare is originally from Coventry and expressed how glad she was that some of the Commonwealth Games events would be happening in Coventry. She said: “Coventry is my city. It is home. With UK City of Culture and the Commonwealth Games, it’s great that the world gets to see what is happening here.”

The Lord Mayor of Coventry said: “Kare’s efforts have inspired children across the city. She has helped them to love sport and make it a part of their lives… she carries the responsibility of a role model very well, and her love of sport shines through so brightly that others can’t help but be inspired.”

Professor Ennew, who awarded Kare for her achievements said: “Marking Kare’s success at Tokyo 2020 has been such a pleasure. We have watched and supported her with such pride since she joined the university.

“She is internationally recognised as an elite athlete in her chosen sport, and we are delighted that she has been able to make the University of Warwick her home, place of study and training ground as she continues to pursue her athletic goals.”