BREAKING: Warwick will be providing a rent waiver for on campus accommodation

The University has issued a new statement today

Today, Warwick has issued a statement stating that they will provide a rent waiver to students with on campus accommodation.

This comes after a campaign for students to withhold their Term 2 rent payments gained 500 sign ups in 48 hours, joining the student rent strikes across the country.

The University is offering a rent waiver to students not living in their on-campus accommodation, lasting from at least 9th January to mid-February. Furthermore, students’ rent payments will be deferred until 1st March.

A spokesperson shared the following statement from Warwick on their position regarding the rent situation:

“In light of the latest Government imposed student travel restrictions, the University of Warwick will be providing a rent waiver for students with on campus accommodation who are not currently living on campus.

“The waiver will cover the period from 9th January until at least mid-February, by which time we hope that more information and guidance about the lifting of student travel restrictions will be available.

“In addition, we will defer on campus rent payment dates until 1st March by which time the position may be clearer. Further, more specific, details will be provided to students via email early next week”

@rentstrikewarwick shared the above Instagram post, asking students to continue to strike until all their demands were met

The @rentstrikewarwick campaign posted advice to their Instagram page yesterday advising strikers not to accept such a waiver until all of their demands were met and a reduction in rent was secured for all students, including those in Warwick-managed 0ff-campus accommodation.

“The university understands that rent strikes only work due to collective action- which is why they will try to divide us,” stated the post, asking strikers to wait for all their demands, such as better mental health support and no Covid-related job losses, to be met.

Warwick is the latest in a string of universities offering students a rent waiver in unoccupied accommodation, including King’s College London, The University of Exeter and LSE.