Warwick SU vote to get a new Trans-Officer

They are set to be elected in next year’s Autumn election

Yesterday Warwick’s student council voted in favour of creating a new part-time role of a Trans-Officer.

The vote was passed with 12 votes to 1. They are set to be elected in next year’s election.

The Co-President of Warwick Pride, Sara Boiten submitted the motion to the student council. She claims to have the support of other societies, including Warwick Anti-Sexism Society. Boiten said that she is “so proud to be part of such a huge step in ensuring trans students’ rights are protected for years to come.”

Warwick’s new position follows precedent set by the NUS’s example, who recently created a full time Trans-Officer role.

Warwick is amongst other universities who have created similar roles. This includes Manchester University and Edge Hill. The new role is certainly a step in the right direction, especially after one of Warwick’s University Challenge team mates has received online abuse over her gender.

University of Warwick

The Tab Warwick

last seen today at 06:23

Get breaking Warwick news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out everything going down in Leam, mad shit happening in Kasbah, and where you can find the best Purple on campus. Straight into your DMs. 😘